Chapter Twenty Nine: Gone

It's hard to forget someone who gave you so much to remember.❞ ㅡ Rei Jiyūna

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE:

GONE

                 Dear Naruto,

I don't even know what to say. If I were you, I wouldn't even waste my time reading this. But I beg you, give me a chance to explain; you deserve to know why I'm doing this. I think, after all, I owe you that much.

Some days ago, I met someone whose identity I can't reveal for now — but that doesn't matter.

They wanted to help me — that's what they said. I still have no idea as to why their knowledge about my bloodline goes so deep and far, but they taught me techniques I never thought existed, things I didn't know I could do up until then. And then they told me things; about me, and about the people I surrounded myself with. At first, I didn't believe them, but everything became coherent eventually.

So here's the truth, Naruto: My name was never Rei Koizumi, my mother was never the woman I grew up with, my sensei was never truly who we believed her to be, my teammate Kazuo hid his true intentions so well it got Maki killed.

The truth is my life has been a complete lie. And I won't hide it, Naruto; I'm confused and slowly breaking down. Without Maki..., I feel lost. Knowing she's gone forever... and even if it wasn't deliberate because I had no idea at the time, I brought this upon her.

The guilt almost killed me.

I blamed Maki's death on me, but now I've realised that some horrible things like that would have never happened had I we not been kept in the dark.

Perhaps that's the reason why I'm doing this. I honestly can't bring myself to look anyone in the eye without feeling sick; they keep acting like nothing's happened, like I'm still clueless — they haven't learnt from their mistake. Jeez, I even doubt they consider this as such — a mistake. And I'm angry, so furious I feel like I'm going to explode, like I will lash out any moment now.

I need to find answers, someone that can shine a light on everything. But I can't do that here; it's been proven all the Jõnin (even the Hokage knew!) are not worth my trust, as they have been lying to my face for years.

From the bottom of my heart, I apologise for doing this. I hope one day you'll be able to forgive me, my dear friend.

Naruto, don't let anyone decide upon your future; you are the only one with power to create your own destiny. Thank you for so many good memories and for being the friend I never deserved to have.

I'm sure we will see each other again, but until then, don't look for me.

Take care, my dearest friend.

P.S.: Don't drink the milk you have in the fridge; it expired a month ago.

With a heavy sigh and feeling a headache knocking at his door, Gai folded the letter and put it back inside the envelope. His eyes drifted towards his pupils, who were watching him silently. Yet he could see it: the anxious glint in their gazes, the frown on their faces, and their locked jaws; as if they were trying to stop the words from blurting out.

Suddenly, a scream full of frustration broke the tense silence.

"Why am I even talking to you, people?" Naruto snapped, riled up. "I have to find Kakashi-sensei!"