Chapter Thirteen: Akatsuki

True beauty lies in the things that last forever, never rotting or fading.❞ ㅡ Sasori

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:

AKATSUKI

                           The faint sound of rain was left behind as the two cloaked figures stepped into the base. At first glance, one would describe it as an abandoned building — what with its cracked walls and crumbling façade. Once inside, an almost impenetrable darkness would greet those who dared to intrude, and a suffocating silence would follow them throughout their journey.

Fortunately, the building was never too crowded — if not vacant at all. The light taps of water drops leaking from the ceiling, as well as the barely-audible footsteps of the two men as they walked down the wet corridor, echoed through the passage; the feeling of being watched increased.

These men, however, were never bothered by any of that; they were used to it. One was taller than the other, perhaps due to the fact that his partner seemed to be crouching over his own body as he slid across the ground. They both wore hats over their heads, so as to conceal their identities. Their cloaks were identical, too: black with red clouds, and long enough to cover their bodies.

Akatsuki.

The infamous organization of S-rank criminals that was pursued by almost every land in the world and yet stood in all its glory above their heads —as its members truly believed. Surprisingly — or not so much —, they had built upon themselves an important prestige among small villages with not as many sinews as the main countries.

Strands of blond hair could be seen when the taller individual huffed in annoyance.

"I don't get it," he grumbled under his breath. "Why do we have to report about the mission, hn? I thought that creepy plant had already done that."

The shorter man growled lowly, never in the mood to deal with his complaints.

"You don't need to understand." His voice was gruff, and even though his irritation was noticeable, it sounded almost inhuman. "Don't be such a brat."

Deidara clicked his tongue in vexation, but other than that, remained quiet—he knew better than to start an argument with that man. Out of all people in the organization, he had been paired up with someone as entertaining as a puppet — oh, the irony. They were so incompatible, those two. His partner was not only tedious, but also unable to comprehend true art; Deidara truly despised his guts.

Nevertheless, the blond couldn't really complain about having him as his partner. That organization was full of strange people — if they could be called people at all —, and he wasn't fond of any of them.

"Deidara-senpai!" a loud, cheerful voice called.

His eye twitched as he caught a glimpse of the loudest member of Akatsuki running towards him, arms ridiculously flapping above his head; as if he was trying to get rid of invisible moths.

Fortunately for him and his partner, who had increased his pace in order to avoid being caught by the irritating man — who may have as well been a kid, what with that childish attitude of his —, they had arrived to their destination. A huge door stood in front of them, and they quickly made their way inside and closed it on Tobi's masked face.

A smirk formed on his lips as the sound of him crashing into the iron door reached his ears.

"Come forth."