Chapter Ten: Iwagakure's Ninja

Knowing what it feels like to be in pain is exactly why we try to be kind to others.❞ ㅡ Jiraiya

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHAPTER TEN:

IWAGAKURE'S NINJA

                       Frozen on the spot, she watched in utter stupor as Gaara walked to the opposite side of the room without sparing her another glance. Many questions roamed her mind at the moment, yet she mentally shook her head and tried to ignore the whirlwind of emotions that bubbled inside her.

As time passed by, more and more genin belonging to different villages walked into the room. She watched with passive eyes — not really caring about them, for the blank look she had received minutes ago continued to harass her mind — as the teams stepped in. Not even when one of them approached her, did she pay any attention.

Fortunately, Maki was still there, and she took care of the intruder while her friend got lost inside her complex mind.

Mustering as much courage as she could, Rei ventured to peer at his indifferent face again. As if feeling her gaze, his head tilted slowly to meet her puzzled, almost disorientated expression. Then, his eyes narrowed into a deadly glare, and the unspoken words she read in it shook her to her core.

I'll kill you.

Like a deer caught in the headlights, Rei hastily looked away. A frown came across her face, and she pursed her lips in thought.

"...seems a bit out of it," an unfamiliar voice spoke in the distance.

After long minutes of thinking to no avail, Rei huffed in defeat. For the umpteenth time, she glanced over at the redhead, but he wasn't paying attention to her anymore. Her eyes scanned his emotionless features briefly before glancing at his companions — his siblings —, only to notice they were giving her withering looks as well.

Her lips pursed into a thin line.

You want to be this way? Fine by me.

She yelped as an elbow hit her on her stomach, and she sharply turned towards Maki.

"What?" she snapped as she rubbed the spot where she had just been hit.

Maki rolled her eyes, but she didn't comment on her odd behaviour and merely motioned for her to look to the front. Obliging, Rei found herself staring into a pair of blue eyes. They were observing her closely, almost as though they were trying to figure her out. Their owner, a boy with light blond hair and a headband with the symbol of Iwagakure — also known as the Village Hidden by Rocks — tied around his forehead, pulled a grin that screamed mischief.

"Aren't you a piece of art?"

Rei blinked. "What do you think you're doing?" She moved her head away and snarled at him, "Get out of my face, you creep."

His demeanour changed drastically within seconds; his grin vanished, his jaw clenched and his eyes blazed in fury. However, she didn't back out and simply arched an eyebrow in expectation.

As he was about to speak, Rei turned around on her seat and purposely ignored his presence. Next to her, Maki snickered, but she quickly sobered up as the infuriated glare of the Iwagakure ninja fell upon her.

The conflict came to a sudden halt, fortunately — Maki sighed in relief —; for a soft puff was heard, and a bunch of chūnin appeared out of thin air, silencing the room.