Chapter Nineteen: Benefactor

Justice comes from vengeance, but that justice only breeds more vengeance..❞ ㅡ Pain

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHAPTER NINETEEN:

BENEFACTOR

                              A lonely man walked down the deserted border which separated his home from the Land of Wind, footsteps eerily soundless as he seemed to float above the sand. His face was obscured within the shade provided by a hat, but his purple eyes shone upon the few beings that dared stand in his way. The wind blew softly around that place, way too arid for his liking; as he was used to the fresh atmosphere which prevailed in his village.

His feet led him towards a cave in a mountain, where no light fought against the darkness. Any other man would have been wary, perhaps even scared upon walking into such isolated place. However, he was no mere man; he held powers many feared and respected at the same time, a reputation within criminals that had long since placed him on top of the world like a god.

His eyes could see in the dark, no matter its intensity. And so, he instantly caught sight of what surrounded him.

Bodies lay within the chamber, discarded and bloodied. The once polished room had crumbled, as though an earthquake had assaulted it; dust and fallen rocks spoke of the battle that had broken out.

"Looks like they never stopped disagreeing."

Zetsu emerged from the damp earth, his greenish features contorted into the wickedest of expressions. He casted an uninterested glance around, tilted its head before turning towards his lord.

"Their present was a mirror of the past they have been trying to run from," the black side of his face spoke in a dark, grave voice. "There aren't as many as expected, though."

His other half hummed in thought and replied in a much lighter, child-like voice, "Do you think they hid? Like good ol' times."

Pain rounded on his feet to scan the mess with keen eyes, only to agree with Zetsu; although many bodies lay dead at their feet, there weren't as many as he knew they previously were.

"Search the place, look for anything useful to us," Pain ordered as he turned around, ready to call the meeting off.

But he was stopped, as the plant-man addressed him. "This one is still alive."

The woman was on the verge of death, what with her bones having been crushed all together. The leader of Akatsuki recognised her right away, for it was not the first time they had crossed paths.

"Nazumi," he acknowledged, without the respect to which she was used. She expected no other salutation, however, and was not going to blame him; their relationship had never been one to envy, but only now did she feel a tad guilty about the reason behind, about her past actions and resolution.

A gagging sound was her response; blood coated her open throat. Never in the mood to hear her pleas, or those from any other member of her clan, Pain glared into her blind eyes.

"They are going after the girl." Lady Nazumi took one last shaky breath. "Tell Konan I'm... sorry."

As the old woman died with the words in her throat, Pain called for his subordinate.

"Give notice to the rest. We are going to Konoha."

--

The moon shone bright in the night sky, its powerful glow caressed the grass on which they sat. A feeling of contentment flooded the atmosphere, warmly ruffled by the fresh breeze that seeped in between the many trees which formed the woods. No word was spoken by the two young friends, for there was no reason to break the comfortable silence; it should prevail tonight, a mutual agreement they had reached a couple of minutes after meeting.