Chapter Twenty Five: Guilt

The ones who aren't able to acknowledge their true selves are bound to fail.❞ ㅡ Itachi Uchiha

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE:

GUILT

                               The stars were bright that night, sparkling like diamonds in the dark sky. The moon wasn't there to provide them with the company they sought, however; even though no cloud threatened to cover its glow. A soft breeze walked the forest, tousling the leaves of the trees and caressing the paths as it reached the cliff below which the city slept.

Her hair was ruffled ever so slightly as Rei observed the village with a distant glint in her eyes — as if her mind was elsewhere; as if she were lost to the world. It had been a week since the tragedy, but she had yet to overcome the pain in her chest; she was still mourning. In fact, Rei doubted she would ever be able to accept the truth and move on — she knew she'd never get used to her friend's absence.

She didn't want to, didn't deserve to.

Guilt would forever roam her insides — the remembrance of what she'd done would always torture her mind. Those eyes, as life was so ruthlessly taken away from her, would haunt her until her very end; the betrayal swimming in them would drown her in despair whenever she'd dare to stop to catch a breath.

Those emotions were slowly destroying her, making a mess out of her and driving Naruto insane. She had yet to explain everything to him; it was a promise she intended to keep, but she had to sort her thoughts out beforehand.

"The stars are so bright tonight," a familiar voice whispered behind her.

Rei tensed; her heart fluttered, her hair stood on end and she forced herself to remain still. Soft footsteps approached after some seconds of deafening silence, before a shadow was casted over her face.

"I wish I could do what you're doing right now: sitting down on this cliff, feeling the breeze on my skin... the glow of the stars in my eyes," Maki commented, nonchalant. A sigh followed her words, and suddenly her voice was colder than a winter night. "Why are you greeted with sad smiles wherever you go, as if you're the victim here? What gives you the right to feel despair, as if this wasn't your fault?"

Rei was yanked up to face the unfamiliar rage in the expression of her deceased friend, but felt powerless against her, because deep in her heart she knew Maki was right; she had no right to feel anguish.

"You are a murderer, Rei, and a coward!" she was shouting by then, shaking her in the air like Rei was but a mere puppet. "You killed me! If only you hadn't been so self-centred, if only you'd stopped to take a look around you..."

Her back hit the ground with a thud as Maki loosened her grip on her and shook her head in disappointment.

"Please, Maki, stop."

The girl laughed; an inhuman sound that sent chills down her spine.

"Stop what, Rei? This is all you — your mind is so broken I can't help but laugh!" A grin spread across her lips. "Perhaps it's punishing you for your actions... seeing as no one else will because you keep hiding and lying."

"I just —"

"Just what?"

Rei averted her gaze. "What exactly do you want from me?"