Chapter Thirty Four: My Moment

Who decides what's right or wrong? I don't believe in justice anymore, at least, not in the one that's taught to us when we're kids. I have now my own sense of justice, and it's what I'll fight for from now on.❞ ㅡ Rei

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR:

MY MOMENT

                          The smell of burnt wood contrasted with the taste of humid sand that permeated her dry mouth. Her ears buzzed and the back of her eyes sent waves of pain to her brain, warning it about an incoming headache. As black smoke filled the air and slid between trees and leaves, leaving no nook untouched by its deadly fingers, a sudden silence showered upon the forest. Even the wind seemed to have stopped as they stood still, recovering from the attack and waiting in wary expectance. The distant chirp of birds had been whisked away, overpowered by the ringing in the ears that the explosion had awoken.

"Rei, open your eyes," a voice as calm as the ocean spoke to her from the distance, like a whisper navigating its waves towards her.

And so she did.

Brown — it was the first thing she noticed; a wall of sand shielding her from the explosion. It swayed around her, as if alive, and her emotions gave a sudden turn; shock was replaced with a sense of wonderment, and she watched in silence as it eventually returned to the safety inside his gourd.

And suddenly, she became aware of the giant bird floating above their heads. Its wings remained unmoving, as if it were laying on an invisible platform, yet her senses picked up the subtle movements of a person standing on its head, like the captain of his ship. Dust and dirt blocked her vision, and Rei subconsciously squinted — to no avail.

"Prepare to fight," Gaara spoke as his sand wrapped around itself beneath his feet to gravitate him towards the threat.

Only when Kotone huffed was she reminded of her presence some feet away from her, and her orange eyes drifted to glance at her smirking face. Feeling her wary stare, the blue-haired girl caught her gaze and sent a wink her way.

"There's no need for that," she retorted lightly.

Her words seemed to trigger something in Gaara, for he froze and lifted a hand in the air, calling his sand. Rei observed as it floated before the girl, menacing — waiting for orders to attack. However, her expression only turned exasperated; she gave a sigh and shook her head. "Really? I just said there's no need to fight."

A ray of sun broke free from the oppressing shadow of the bird, causing Rei to avert her attention towards the flying animal. And she did see him now — his blond hair, ruffled by a breeze she couldn't feel; his blue eye, watching her closely; and the smirk.

His voice reached her ears and resonated in the woods. "It's been a while, pretty eyes. Heard you were looking for us, so I couldn't help myself, hn."

"Slow as always," Kotone muttered with a roll of her eyes. "He sure loves making a grand entrance, the idiot. Well, this has been interesting to watch," she commented to Gaara, "but we have to leave."

Her black eyes were suddenly on Rei, expectant and determined. She must had seen something in the way the latter stood close to the boy, for her expression lost all traces of humour and she gave her an irritated look.

"You made your choice, Rei. Isn't this what you wanted — to find Akatsuki? Well, they're here so you'd better stop hesitating and get on that damn bird."