Chapter Twelve: Art is an Explosion

Life is only beautiful because it's so fleeting, so transient.❞ ㅡ Deidara

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHAPTER TWELVE:

ART IS AN EXPLOSION

                     Rei jumped back just in time to avoid a powerful kick that would've sent her crashing into a tree. She wiped the trail of blood that fell from her mouth with the back of her hand and frowned in thought, her eyes locked on Ryu.

Within the past minutes, they had only used Taijutsu against one another. Hand-to-hand combat was usually a strong point of hers, but she had yet to land a hit on him. It was something hard to comprehend; considering she was increasing her speed by the second, and he still managed to avoid each of her attempts. She couldn't be certain, but as she took a quick glance down at his feet, she wondered if he was using some kind of technique. Rei herself was using the force of the wind to propel her body, swiftly moving towards his enemy and backwards again to dodge his attacks.

However, Ryu had somehow managed to hit her more than once. Then, there was the fact that he seemed to do so without really trying; he dodged, then struck back — too fast for her to follow.

"Oi, you're starting to bore me," he drawled, and there was no trace of the playfulness she had gotten used to seeing on his face.

"So are you," Rei retorted, too dignified to admit her body was aching, as she straightened. "Or did you think I wouldn't notice?"

Ryu frowned and asked, "What?"

"You're holding back," she alleged. "And I can't give my all when my opponent is taking the fight so lightly."

His lips curled into a smug smirk.

"I'm afraid I can't do that, pretty eyes," he responded and chuckled at her annoyed expression upon hearing the nickname. "You're no good to us if you're dead, hn."

Us?

"Oops, I said too much. Sasori is going to have my head on a spike if he finds out," he spoke in dismay, yet giving away the impression he couldn't care less about it. He then dropped the smirk. "I know you're capable of way more than that. And even though I don't give a crap about this... exam, you still need this." He pulled out a white scroll and arched a brow, silently challenging her.

Rei kept silent, gave him a sour look and uttered, "Has no one ever complained about your constant, futile chattering?"

The boy narrowed his blue eyes in indignation as he was reminded of the multiples times his partner had done so, always driving him into arguing even more. If only she knew.

"But you're right. I do need that scroll, and you're getting on my nerves."

Her orange eyes changed within a second as she activated her Seigyo, and the wind stopped hastily. He waited for her to strike; partly wary, partly eager. If he was correct, that would be the first time Rei used the Seigyo in a real battle.

"Ah, I knew it." Suddenly, he was slammed into the tree behind, his cheek smashed under the weight of her fist. "You were using lightening to move faster."

Eyes wide in utter shock, Ryu stared at the girl. She was standing on the same spot she had been seconds before, but he had felt it: the strength of her punch. Had she really moved too fast for him to see?

"You talk as if you've been watching me," she continued, fists clenched at her sides. "Then you should know I don't play around."

Laughter bubbled inside him before escaping his body; he laughed and laughed, prey to unfamiliar delight. Ignoring the aggravated look in her eyes, he ran a hand through his face and grinned like a maniac.