Chapter Seventeen: Fast and Furious

A genius is not the one that never fails. He is the one who gets up, again and again, never losing sight of his dreams.❞ ㅡ Rock Lee

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:

FAST AND FURIOUS

                           He was exuberant; that was for sure. One had to be blind not to see his wide grin and shining eyes as he regarded the girl before him; he was so eager he could've exploded.

Rei, on the other hand, remained stoic. She had never been one to believe in karma, but such situation was too funny to call it causality. Her luck had run out, she thought as she remembered the countless times she had turned down the boy's requests to spar with him. And now, she couldn't help but curse her lack of enthusiasm — as Lee would say. Had she not run from each and every of those occasions, she would have had a clue about what his skills — and weaknesses, blind spots — were.

Nonetheless, after some seconds, the corner of her lips curved upwards. She was aware that he was just as clueless about her own fighting style, and yet he was displaying such vehemence. Honestly, it was difficult not to find his antics amusing, albeit frustrating at the same time.

"Let's show them what a real fight looks like, Lee."

His grin broadened, and he punched the air again.

"Begin."

As expected, Lee was the first to move. He was on her within the blink of an eye, but Rei was quick to avoid his fist. Swiftly, he rounded on his foot and threw the other at the back of her knees. Her back arched as she jumped over his stretched leg, her hands supported her weight before she throw her leg upwards to make him fly towards the ceiling.

But he did a backflip mid-air and landed some feet away from her, signature grin on as if he was enjoying the fight.

He's fast, Rei acknowledged as she sized him up with calculating eyes.

She breathed out, then activated her bloodline.

Up from the stands, oh-so-curious Naruto asked his sensei, "Kakashi-sensei, what is that?"

The man hummed, deep in thought, as he observed the mysterious girl. Through his years as jõnin, he had heard many stories and myths about said bloodline, but he had never witnessed the abilities with which it granted its owner.

"Like Sasuke, she bears a Dõjutsu* within her blood," he replied. "The Seigyo. Not many know of its existence, some believe it to be a fairy tale. The word means control — you will see why."

"And what does it exactly control?" Naruto insisted.

Initially, the wind. At a larger scale...

Rei silenced the voices that were distracting her and set her full attention on her opponent. Said boy watched her warily, planning his next move.

Then, he sprinted towards her—

—and almost ran into the wall.

His eyes widened as he quickly turned around, only to meet her strong punch, which send him crashing into the few stairs that separated the arena from the coordinators. Unable to comprehend what had happened, how in the world she had become faster than him with the mere activation of her bloodline, he jumped to his feet and stared at her still form.