Chapter Thirty: Confrontation

There's only one thing that can heal a heart: love.❞ ㅡ Yashamaru

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE:

CONFRONTATION

                                    A long corridor spread before them; torches hung from its stony walls, dimly illuminating the passage with their fluttering flames. Silence was all that could be heard, only broken by the occasional drip drop of water leaking and splashing on the recently-formed puddles. Gelid gusts of wind came in through the vents located on the ceiling, touching every nook of the cave and turning the atmosphere even colder than it already was. There was a smell floating around, one of humid metal and dirt.

They were underground, walking down one of the most wanted criminal's hideouts. Long passages spread from every corner, holes in the walls had long since been covered by metal doors to stop anyone — or anything — from sneaking in... and out.

Orochimaru smirked in delight upon hearing footsteps approaching; he had been waiting for that day. Currently, he was working on yet another human experiment, trying to create a specimen who would be able to transform its body into liquid. Tubes and tanks filled with water and other substances surrounded the dark room, and those who were present had been put to sleep a long time ago; which created the perfect environment for the man — if only he could be described as such.

Some minutes went by, before two people walked in. They stopped right behind him as he fiddled with cables, not daring to interrupt his work and face the terrible consequences.

"I have been waiting for you," his raspy voice broke the silence, and turning around to greet them with a sinister smile, he acknowledged the woman, "Suzume."

The Jiyūna traitor didn't smile, nor did she show a sign of hesitation as she looked the snake-like man in the eye and spoke in a low, unamused voice,

"This place wasn't easy to locate."

There was a restrained hint hidden in her voice, as if it was hard for her to admit defeat — Suzume was a very proud character, after all.

"Perhaps you are mistaking me for one of those fools that ruled over your whole clan," Orochimaru commented with a hiss. "I am no mere shinobi."

Suzume clicked her tongue in mildly irritation, and then took a glance around the room.

"I'm well aware of that," she said while eyeing the beings that floated in the tanks in evident disgust. Shaking her head mentally, she pushed her companion forward, who stumbled yet managed to not fall over.

"I assume this is the kid," Orochimaru hummed as he stared at him intently, as though trying to burn a hole in his soul.

Kazuo bowed, causing his former sensei to roll her eyes in exasperation.

So weak, Orochimaru observed. Yet his determination is somehow admirable.

He grinned.

"Shall we start, then?"

-Meanwhile, somewhere in Konoha-

Rei was sitting on the branch of a tree, legs hanging at its sides and back leaning against its trunk. A book was placed on her lap; its pages made no noise as they were ruffled by the wind. Her eyes were closed, fluttering ever so frequently as her features remained calm. Soft breaths slipped through her parted lips, and her head was slightly lolled to the side as the breeze of the morning lulled her into sleep.

After long hours of running through woods, up hills and over lakes, exhaustion had finally taken over her body. Everything she had been feeling for the past few days had faded into oblivion, not even the remembrance could be noticed on her face now. There, deep within a forest far from Konoha, all traces of her turmoil — her sadness, her stress; those emotions that had tormented her way before Maki died and that had become stronger ever since — were gone.

A pair of black eyes observed her from the shade; their owner made no sound as they hid within the bushes. Their fingers traced the edge of a kunai, and they smirked widely—

—before a gust of wind propelled them towards the sky.

Rei narrowed her eyes as the stalker swiftly dodged the attack and landed on a branch of another tree. Her features were furrowed into an expression of annoyance as she glared at the newcomer.

"Impressive," Kotone granted with an amused grin. "Almost got me there."

The blue-haired girl dusted off her clothes and tilted her head, a pout suddenly on her lips.

"You're not going to say anything? Boring."

Rei pursed her lips as she grew more irritated.

"Who are you?" she finally asked.

"Name's Kotone." A satisfied glint shone in her dark eyes. "Pleasure to finally make your acquaintance, Rei."

At that, her muscles tensed and alarms went off in her head. She searched Kotone with her gaze, but upon noticing no headband — no symbol of a nation on her clothes —, a confused frown formed on her forehead.

"Who exactly are you?"

How do you know who I am?

The mysterious girl ignored her question, though, and merely smiled knowingly.

"So, Rei, why are you here... in these woods?" she wondered aloud. "Are you, perhaps, lost? Such a nasty place to stop for a nap, if you ask me. I can hear snails sliding all around. Bet yesterday rained a lot."

A second of perplexed silence passed, before another gust of wind came her way. With a grin, Kotone jumped out of the way and landed on the branch above hers. Glancing down at Rei, she noticed how her eyes were blazing and her jaw had locked.

"You're all over the place," Kotone noted with a strange glint in her gaze. Pursing her lips, she let out a soft hum. "You need to chill. Stress isn't healthy at all, Rei... Or that's what I heard."

Rei glared at her, not in the mood to deal with her yet curious nonetheless.

"Stop this nonsense. Just tell me what you want."

She was, as a matter of fact, on edge, tired and way too anxious to keep her emotions in place. However, Kotone shook her head.

"I'm just here to help you," she mumbled.

"I don't need your help," was Rei's retort. "I don't even know you."

Kotone smirked then.

"Wouldn't be the first time you let someone you don't know help you." Before the brunette could even open her mouth, she quickly added, "Heard you're looking for someone."

Cue the sweat-drop. You've been watching me for almost an hour, Rei mentally argued. You've had enough time to see what I'm up to.

"I fail to see how that's any of your concern," she ended up saying. "Like I said, I don't need your help."

"I like your attitude, Rei," Kotone confessed with a grin. "But it's not going to get you anywhere close to finding Akatsuki."

Red flags danced before her, causing Rei to tense her muscles and become even more suspicious.

"How—Who really are you?"

Another hum was heard as a shadow crossed those dark eyes, before Kotone pulled something from behind her.

"If you really want to know," she paused as a smirk formed on her lips, "you'll have to fight me. I've been dying for some action. If you do, I will help you find Konan."

I've been waiting for this moment.

Rei regarded her for some seconds; she mulled it over, wary.

"Fine," she finally conceded.

I have nothing to lose.