<< TWENTY ONE >>

"So, you basically kill bad guys...or guys that have a hit out on them?" I questioned Dave.

"Correct."

"And you don't actually get involved in the guys' dirty doings?"

"Nope."

"And you work for one of the most dangerous people, living, in New York."

"Mmhm." He nodded.

"Oh okay." I said and sat quickly for a minute to soak it all in.

"Okay? Just okay?" Dave asked putting his hands over mine.

"Yeah... I mean what else do you want me to say? It's not ideal, of course. I don't want you in any trouble or danger. I don't see you any differently really. It's not like you're a monster. You're just doing a job." I shrugged.

Dave just put his head down.

"How did I get so lucky?" He said quietly, smiling at me.

"Maybe it's this whole bond thing. But I really feel for you, Dave. And whatever it is, I'm here for you. No matter what. You're stuck with me now." I smirked.

"And I wouldn't have it any other way." He said, leaning over to kiss me.

Once we were cuddled up, he let me ask him a few more questions while he rubbed on my back.

"So are you going to tell me how you died now?" I asked.

"I guess since you keep asking." He said rolling his eyes.

I kissed my teeth hitting him playfully.

"For one, I grew up down south. When I was a youngin' I thought I was real bad. Running the streets, playing a big man's game. I was going around with mob and shit. One day, I tried leaving. I had met someone- a woman. Called myself falling in love." He chuckled.

I just looked at him.

"Those were my human days. My human love. It's different now. I'm meant to be with you, we're fated. If anything our love means way more than any of my past endeavors. But anyway, I wanted out of the mob. But they weren't having that. Word got out revealing some of their dirt. And they of course thought it was me setting them up. They planned it all. It's true what they say, 'you don't mess with the mob'. They took Paula from me. Then they were at my head. Burnt down the house with me in it."

I gasped. "How did you make it out alive?"

"My boy, Benny. He knew what was going down and tried to stop them. It was too late of course. I remember feeling my skin start to melt. Never been afraid of anything but that's something no one would ever want to endure. Benny came busting in. Not one mark on him. He apologized to me and went in for the kill. He bit me. Next thing I know, I woke up in the city of Harlem. It's been my home ever since. Benny told me everything. How he came to be and how sorry he was that he turned me without me asking but he didn't want to see me die for trying to live life on a better path." He explained.

"Wait, neither Jayde or I have turned since we were bit. Is that different or...?" I asked trailing off, not sure how to ask that question.

"Yes. You have to bite to kill. We can draw blood or drain it. It's all depends on the intent." Dave said.

"I'd like to turn one day. I've been thinking about it recently." I said softly.

"You have a very long time to think about that. And I don't want you thinking you have to just because of me. That's something you really have to think through and want Willow." He told me seriously.

"I understand that. And I'm sure my mind won't change. But I will give it more time. I just know I want to be with you. Forever."

"I gotchu. And I agree. But that's a discussion for another time. Let's talk about your grand opening coming up. You and Jayde been going hard getting it together." He said sitting us up and pulling me on his lap.

I went on to tell him all the details and gave him the run down. He wasn't happy that I invited everyone from the real estate firm but he understood.

Of course he said he now had to have his boys be on watch for the night. But I was okay with that.

I didn't know Malcom all too well. So I really didn't know what to expect from him.

Hopefully nothing would go wrong. That night is something I'd been looking forward to for a long time.

It's time for me to make big money moves and do what I love.

And with Dave and everyone's support, I knew it'd be worth it.