17| breve

C H A P T E R  1 7

AFTER A WHILE, Camila's feet started hurting

AFTER A WHILE, Camila's feet started hurting. She sat down on the blanket, patting the place beside her. Draco followed her and sat down. "Do you want more sandwiches or do you want dessert?"

"What's for dessert?" Camila asked back excitedly. He didn't answer her question. He silently pulled out a tub of chocolate ice cream, bowls and spoons. "How did the ice cream not melt?" She asked curiously.

"There's something known as magic, which I'm hoping you know about?" Draco replied as he served the ice cream. Camila just huffed and took  the ice cream. Both of them were eating quietly.

"I want to get to know you,"  Draco  said  when he was almost done with his ice cream.

"Well, what do you want to know? My favourite colour?" Camila asked, looking at him expectantly.

"No!" Draco exclaimed. "I mean I do want to know your favourite colour but also what makes you happy, what your darkest fear is, what keeps you up at night and everything else about you," Draco explained.

Camila couldn't help but gaze back at him in adoration. The amount of passion he spoke with left her breathless. She realised that this was so much more than infatuation. Whatever it was, this was one of the most beautiful and purest relationship she ever had.

"Well? Um- do you have anything to say?" Draco asked, his collected facade slipping as he ran his hand through his hair nervously.

"I think we have the rest of this night for that," Camila trailed off. "As long as I get to ask you questions too," she added.

Draco nodded his head, trying to think of any questions. "Why did you open Espresso Patronum?" He asked after thinking for a long time.

"Noah used to love coffee so much. The things he loved brought me so much happiness. I wanted to spread the happiness that coffee brought to Noah," Camila said, a small smile on her face but her eyes were starting to well up. "Can I ask my question now?" She asked as she sniffled softly.

Draco nodded. He pulled her onto his lap, both her legs on either side of his torso. He slowly ran his fingers down her hair, humming into her ear, trying to calm her. Camila smiled up at him. "Why did you become a death eater?" She asked.

"I wasn't forced to join. I joined because it was an honour to serve a cause my family believed in. I was taught from when I could talk that muggles and muggleborns were inferior.But as soon as I joined, I regretted it. My first mission was to kill Professor Dumbledore," Draco said looking elsewhere, lost in his thoughts.

"I couldn't do it, Mila," he said as tears wrecked his body. " I couldn't bloody do it," he continued, tears streaming down his body. Camila wiped the tears, murmuring calming things in his ear.

He pulled the sleeve of his left arm up. Camila gasped as she saw the mark. The dark mark laid on the middle of his arm, scratches surrounding it. The red and pink of the scratches contrasting the black of the mark. A choked sob escaped her mouth when she realised how they came about. He'd scratched the mark so much, trying to get rid of the mark.

"It's not your fault, Draco," she said as she gently traced the scratches. "We were just kids who were forced to grow up because of the god damned war."

Draco grabbed her closer, hugging her tightly. They both sat their, basking in the other's embrace. After a while Draco pulled away. " No matter how much I like this, it's nearing twelve o'clock and I should get you home," Draco said.

"But I don't want to leave," Camila whined.

"As much as I would like to, I'm not going to sleep with you on the first date," Draco said suggestively. She smacked his arm and then got up.
Draco got up, waving his wand to put everything in the basket. He took the basket in one hand, holding his other hand out for Camila. She held his hand and apparated them to the front of the cafe.

She kissed him softly. She pulled away, murmuring goodbye before she went into the cafe. She peeped out through the window and saw Draco still standing outside with a goofy smile. Camila went upto her flat and fell asleep peacefully after a long time.