Chapter 7: Sacrifice

Chapter 7.

"As a child, you would wait and watch from far away,
But you always knew that you'd be the one to work while they all play,
In youth, you'd lay awake at night and scheme,
Of all the things that you would change,
But it was just a dream,
Here we are, don't turn away now,
We are the warriors that built this town,
From dust."

- Warriors, Imagine Dragons.

-

Lily's leg came up, reaching tall as she all but kicked the head off a Chitauri. They were advancing like never before, almost as if they were duplicating as they came out of the portal. Turning a moment too late, Lily was knocked to the floor, the alien ready to rip her throat out as he cracked her head back to connect it with the concrete, but it stopped dead in its tracks when Natasha forced the energy rifle through its skull.

Natasha pulled the girl up, both turning quickly into matching defensive poses, low to the floor, only to come face-to-face with the Captain.

"None of this is going to mean a damn thing if we can't close that portal." Nat told him, lowering her weapon. They were all exhausted and the portal seemed to keep expelling more and more aliens out.

"Our biggest guns couldn't touch it."

"Well, maybe it's not about guns." Natasha spoke quietly as she watched the flying chariot swoop over them.

"You wanna get up there, you're gonna need a ride."

"I got a ride, I could use a boost though." Natasha looked between the two. Steve looked unsure, Lily looked frightened. She'd never used her power to willingly help lift someone yet she knew that's exactly what the red-head was expecting of her.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. It's gonna be fun." She nodded, trying to convince her teammates.

Natasha took a run up, leaping as her feet connected with Steve's shield, the man using all his strength to push her upwards as Lily threw out a blast of energy, forcing the woman up high enough to grab onto a chariot successfully. Lily could only be thankful she hadn't caught Steve in the blast; she couldn't be too sure he'd be as forgiving the second time around.

---

A blast quickly interrupted the duo as they watched Nat fly away, a group of Chitauri quickly advancing on them and causing Steve to hold out his shield to protect both himself and Lily.

Before Lily could pull out any of the knives she had stored, Tony Stark in his suit of red and yellow came barreling down the bridge as he knocked the Chitauri down like bowling pins, blasting his hand boosters towards Steve's shield, who then used it as a reflection beam, knocking out the few remaining soldiers as Lily threw her knife, a quick green blast following it as she sent one soldier into a group of another, their heads clunking onto the destroyed road below the bridge.