Chapter 20: The Wonderful Wizard of Apologies

Chapter 20.

I am hurt and you are sorry,

and when I file the sharp edges I find, 

that I am glad I cared enough to hurt,

and that you cared enough to be sorry that you didn't care more.

- Kristina Mahr.

_

Clutching the manila folder to her chest, Lily threw on her backpack and made her way out of the tower. She hadn't spoken to Steve in what felt like such a long time, but today would be her last chance.

In the week since he had arrived back, Tony had called a meeting to announce their sudden departure to Miami. A whole 3 months before he had planned to, but for his own mental and physical health, he needed to leave ASAP. Which meant Lily would be leaving with him.

Avoiding Steve in the tower had been hard for the first few days, then incredibly easy the last two. What started as her avoiding him, became him darting out of the communal rooms the moment their eyes met. Avoiding his puppy dog eyes across the board table was hard enough. Finding the man when he didn't want to be found was proving damn near impossible.

He stopped using the communal gym, faring for the private gym where Fury had found him all those months ago. And that was exactly where Lily had found him.

Stood silently against the closed doors, Lily observed him as he continued his attack on the bag. Left, right, left, right. The motion causing his whole body to move with the punches, from his broad shoulders to his small waist. His whole upper body was in action, and Lily found it almost hypnotizing. He knew she was there; he had to, and it was only obvious once Lily saw his posture straighten, his punch falter. Yet he remained silent.

Her simple 'Hi' caused her cheeks to flood with warmth. The single word made her feel dumber the more it floated around her head. Instead of calling her out on it, Steve's body stopped, catching the punching bag before it could hit him.

Finally turning around, Lily saw his eyes; soft and still puppy dog-like, but reserved. She almost forgot that she was the one who refused to see him after their altercation... Fight? One-sided argument?

"Hey."

They studied each other timidly for a moment. Neither quite sure what to say, yet a million words raced around their minds.