Chapter 18: Bumper To Bumper, Heart To Heart

Chapter 18.

"You were alone, left out in the cold,
Clinging to the ruin of your broken home,
Too lost and hurting, to carry your load,
We all need someone to hold,
You've been fighting this memory, all on your own,
Nothing washes, nothing grows,
I know how it feels being by yourself in the rain,
We all need someone to stay."
- Someone To Stay - Vancouver Sleep Clinic.

_

Lily had not seen Steve the next morning and for that, he could blame Fury. There had been a breakthrough on a Military-base raid, they had managed to track some of the distributors and Steve was sent out with the S.T.R.I.K.E team early hours of the morning. He hadn't even managed to get his 5 A.M jog in before being flown out. He had been away for a while now chasing what felt like a shadow. Beijing, Portugal, and Italy. They had traveled over 13,000 miles and they were hoping to catch up with the man selling the stolen weapons on the coast of Vieste, in the southeast of Italy.

Lily had been busy too. Tony had really meant what he said about not wanting to be his father, and apparently Lily was the perfect project for him.

The day after Steve had left Tony had decided that Lily should learn how to drive. He was so certain it would be a good idea, right up until he actually sat in a moving car with her.

The lurching of the motor sent Tony's stomach into his throat, the threat of tasting his breakfast twice that morning was on the forefront of his mind as his hand gripped the 'oh-shit' bar so tight that his knuckles were white and his hands felt clammy.

His head was pounding from his boozy bender the night before and he knew that he should've just asked Happy to do this in his place, but in his drunken stupor, he'd promised Lily that he would teach her to drive in the morning. However, at this rate, he wasn't sure either of them would last until lunch.

Lily had all but shoved him awake, forcing some cereal down his throat all the while reminding him - or rather, guilt-tripping him - that he had promised to show her the basics. Plus Tony knew that if he didn't then there was a chance that Mr. America would step in and teach her to ride that damned bike of his. Tony's eyes glared at his own innuendo.

_

The two had driven a few hours out of New York, to some little suburban area that had nowhere near as many cars as Manhattan, in fact, they had barely passed a handful of cars in the last 30 minutes of her driving. Tony had originally offered to purchase Red's Driving School for today, but Lily's glare silenced him quickly. After feeling trapped in the tower for the past few weeks, Lily craved the open road.