Chapter 12: Adult-napped

Chapter 12.

"All the kids cry out, "please stop, you're scaring me',

I can't help this awful energy,

God damn right you should be scared of me,

Who is in control?"

- Control, Halsey.

-

Sneaking out of the Stark Tower was easy, sneaking back in, however – was too easy. As they walked through the doors and into the main lobby, Lily nodded to Happy who was sat acting too inconspicuous, on the verge of being suspicious, as he flicked through a newspaper with absolutely no interest. She wasn't sure why he was sat down in the lobby instead of upstairs where the party was since Tony had given him the night off, but had Lily paid a little more attention she might've noticed the rueful glance he gave her.

The elevator doors opened both she and Steve stepped inside. "Is it terrible of me that I kinda wanna leave the party and just go back to my room? Maybe eat a whole bowl of popcorn."

Steve huffed a small laugh, but shook his head, "No. I mean, probably, but no. I'm half tempted to ditch myself."

Tony had been considerate enough to offer each Avenger a room for the night, he didn't, however, tell them that it was all his big plan to eventually turn the previously named Stark Tower into the new Avengers Tower. Whilst he had no idea where most of the Avengers resided, he did know that his tower was one of the most secure in the world and also pretty huge. It could house them all with a modest suite and he was currently working through blueprints. He – of course – would stay up in his penthouse, but he had an entire floor that he could spare for them after their missions if they chose to stay in New York.

As the elevator doors opened, Lily had finally realized she hadn't managed to sneak out and back in undetected and considering the sarcastically raised eyebrows awaiting her excuse that sat on Tony Stark's face, he wasn't amused in the slightest.

Lily's mouth opened and closed a few times as her brain tried to come up with an excuse, any excuse, whilst Tony's arms folded in front of himself, his narrow eyes not leaving hers for a second.