Chapter 23: A Very Big... Brain

Chapter 23.

You my friend, remind me of someone that I used to know,

You've got his scars, you wear the same clothes,

When did you become the kind of man to live in dark rooms?

Are you lost?

Does it feel like you gave it all away?

Does it feel like it was barely yesterday?

Do the promises you make, feel harder to keep,

Are you losing any sleep?

- Insomniac, Amber Run.

Malibu felt a world away from New York, and Lily supposed it was

Malibu felt a world away from New York, and Lily supposed it was. She'd been settling in fine, and Tony had even let her explore some of Malibu on her own, even if she had the sneaking suspicion that Happy was trailing around after her.

True to his word, however, Tony had cut back significantly on his alcohol intake. Sure, he still enjoyed a finger or two of a single-malt scotch on the rocks, but he wasn't passing out from the consumption anymore. In fact, the man's eyes barely closed at all.

His coping method's from the last couple of years had turned from drink to tinkering, and whilst the latter sounded safer, the constant small fires that Dum-E had to put out as he followed the man around with a fire extinguisher and a small broom told a different tale.

Lily liked Malibu, she really did. She was closer to Pepper here, and although she had Natasha back in New York, she couldn't be certain that the redhead actually considered her as a friend, nor did she get the chance to see her so often as she had grown busy with S.H.I.E.L.D in DC, where she would be spending most of her time now with Clint and Steve. She hoped they'd be able to visit the academy once she was enrolled because even though she had managed to speak to Natasha - and by association, Clint - via Skype, and Steve had spoken to her a handful of times over the phone - he was still a little cautious of technology - she didn't really have any friends here.