Chapter 21: Backpacks and Riffraff

Chapter 21.

"I was raised to run with the wolves and I will not stop just 

because you told me that you can't stand that I am wild."

- L.G

_

Lily had decided that for her last few days in New York, she wanted to explore everything she hadn't yet been able to.

Pepper, needing a break from Tony's persistent hovering - even though he had been the only injured party - had volunteered to take Lily around a few places. It was mainly high-end fashion boutiques since Malibu was much warmer than New York this time of year before they enjoyed lunch at a very expensive restaurant.

Giving up on the menu that was full of words she didn't understand, Lily looked around the darkened room watching as people were staring down at her plain outfit, no shame whatsoever.

When a pointed glare from the girl didn't cease their disparaging glances, Lily couldn't help but duck her head in silent submission.

Taking note of Lily's unsure demeanor, Pepper placed her own menu down, sending the girl a small smile, "The food here is divine. If you're not sure what to have, I can give you some suggestions."

Lily nodded, sending back her own small smile that didn't quite reach her eyes, causing Pepper's own to falter, "What's wrong, Lil?"

Allowing her eyes to dart around the room, Lily leaned in closer in hopes the other patrons wouldn't hear her, "Why is everyone staring at me?"

Pepper's forehead wrinkled for a moment as she assessed the room herself, her own eyes connecting with the same customers who quickly looked away. She knew this game, she'd had to play it when she first began working as Tony's PA.

"That is the stare of a person who has never wanted for anything."

When Lily didn't reply, Pepper continued. "In America, in most of the World really, we're ruled by money."

"I thought you had a president?" Lily mumbled as her brows pinched together.

Letting out a small bark of laughter, Pepper placed her hand over Lily's. "Back in Amaranthine, if you wanted something - needed it - how would you acquire it?"