13

Asher's POV

After Annie left with Nadia, I got a text message.

Carson: Hey man. Sorry we haven't had time to visit you. We were wondering if we could visit you today?

Asher: Yeah of course.

Carson: When?

Asher: Anytime.

Carson: Okay we are on our way.

Asher: Okay see you guys soon!

Carson: Yeah see ya soon!

Carson, Greg, Austin, Matt, Mads, And Riley arrived at the hospital about 40 minutes after Carson texted me.

"Hey man! How ya doing?" I heard Austin ask.

"I'm going good. How bout you guys!" I answered.

"We are good!" Mads said hugging me and Riley hugged me right after.

"How's football been?" I asked the boys.

"It's good! We are still on that winning streak, but it's not the same without you and Johnny." Greg said.

"That's good! Have you guys visited Johnny yet?" I asked.

"Not yet, we are going to stop by his room after." Matt told me.

"Cool!" I said.

"So what's it like living in a hospital?" Riley asked me.

"Well it's pretty boring but the girl in the room next door is really friendl-" I said blushing and Mads cut me off.

"What girl next door? Spill!" Mads said making us all laugh.

"Well.. her name is Annie, she's 16, really nice and funny!" I told them.

"Wait Annie? As in Annie LeBlanc?" Riley asked me with a shocked look on her face.

"Yes, I think so. Why?" I asked confused.

"Oh my god! I just remembered too!" Mads said to Riley.

"Okay, I'm confused. Someone tell me what's going on!" I said.

"Asher, so do you remember how Mads and I moved here about 9 months ago, in the middle of the school year last year?" Riley asked me.

"Yeah...what about it?" I asked her.

"Well, the school we went to before was Annie's school, we were best friends. About two months before we moved I found out that her boyfriend was cheating on her. I told her but she didn't believe me, she believed him. We got into a fight and then a little bit later we made up. Stupid me didn't let the fact that her boyfriend was cheating on her go and I kept warning her but she just kept on getting mad at me. So, I confronted her boyfriend and he denied it all, he also told Annie about it but he made it seem like I was a monster and that I was super rude to him. Then Annie shut me out, I tried telling her the truth and apologizing but nothing worked. A few weeks later we found out that we were moving, I told her and she seemed a little sad but also didn't seem to care much. A few weeks after that, we moved, we moved about a month before her and her boyfriend broke up. Even after we moved I asked our friends to keep an eye on her and her boyfriend, they did and told me everything. He did some bad things to her that she didn't tell anyone about. She tells everyone this story but she leaves a lot of the details out." She told me.

"Oh wow. I know about what happened with her ex boyfriend, she told me but what do you mean she left details out?" I asked her.

"Well she told you that she was bullied and slut shammed for something that never happened right?" Riley asked me.

"Yes, she did." I said.

"That's true and so is the rest of the story but He did some other things to her after they broke up and before she moved schools."

Riley told everyone to leave the room before she told me everything that happened. I was so mad. That's disgusting what he did to her! I understand why she didn't tell me and I swear to god if he ever steps foot near her again, I will beat the living shit out of him. Oh yeah, thats right, I can't yet but once I'm healed he better run for the hills.

After Riley told me everything, she helped me get into my wheelchair and roll me into Annie's room.

"Hey Annie." She said quietly.

"Riley? Asher? You two know each other?" Annie asked confused.

"Yes, we do. Very well actually. Riley and Mads go to my school, they are in the friend group." I told Annie.

"Oh.. cool." She said.

"Oh Annie, I'm so so sorry for everything that happened!" Riley said to Annie starting to tear up.

"No no Riley none of that was your fault. It was mine! I should have believed you, you were right!" Annie said starting to cry.

"I wish I wasn't." Riley said and hugged her.

"Can we be friends again?" Annie asked her.

"Of course!" Riley replied "but may I ask why you are in here?"

"I'm here waiting for a new heart, I have a heart disease." She told Riley.

"Same as Caleb?" Riley asked her.

"Well no, I have a different condition." Annie said.

"Oh okay." Riley said and smiled. "Well I better leave you two alone, I think you need to talk. And please don't hate me for telling him" Riley said and walked out of Annie's room.

______________________________
Comment your thoughts on the book so far!💘

Thank you guys so so much for 1K reads!!!🥰❤️