18

Asher's POV

When I woke up the next morning, the curtains on Annie's side of the glass sliding door were closed. But we're still open just a crack. That's weird, they're never closed. Through the little opening in the curtains I could see what looked like Annie's family. They had wrapped presents and balloons in their hands. Was it Annie's Birthday? If it is, she never told me about it.

I texted Annie asking her about it but she never answered. So, I got a nurse to roll  to Johnny's room.

"Hey Angel." Johnny said when he saw me walk into his room.

"Hey Orlando." I replied.

"What's up?" He asked.

"Are you up for lunch in the cafeteria?" I asked him.

"Yeah sure! Let's go." Johnny replied. He turned off his tv, got out of bed and then rolled me to the cafeteria.

We got our food and headed to a table. That's when I spotted Annie at a table eating with Nadia, Darius and her family. There was a balloon that's said 'happy birthday' on it, so it must have been Annie's birthday. I frowned.

"What's wrong?" Johnny asked me, noticing my mood change.

"Remember that girl I told you about?" I asked him.

"Yeah, Annie right? Johnny asked.

"Yeah, well, she's the brunette at the table with the balloons." I told him.

"She's really pretty." He said.

"Yeah, she is." I replied.

"But what's wrong." Johnny asked confused.

"She didn't tell me it's her birthday and I texted her asking if it was, she didn't answer. And I feel bad because if I'd known I would have gotten her a gift." I told him.

"Hey man, it's alright. Just talk to her about it later and she'll probably understand why you didn't get her anything." He reassured me.

"Yeah, you're right I'll talk to her later. Thanks." I said.

"No problem." He said and we continued to eat.

Johnny and I finished our food before Annie did, so we went to the gift shop to get Annie a small present and then went back to my room and watched tv.

About 20 minutes later Annie and her family came back from lunch. I waited another half an hour until her family left. When they did, Johnny rolled me into Annie's room and then went back to his.

"Hey Annie." I said nervously.

"Oh, hey" She said as her mood dropped a little when she saw that it was me.

"Happy Birthday." I said.

"Oh, thanks." She said frowning.

"Why didn't you tell me it was your birthday?" I asked her.

"I don't know. I didn't want it to be a big deal and I had a feeling you'd make it one...now can you please leave me alone." She said.

"Of course I would have! You deserve to be happy and to be treated especially on your birthday!" I said and she started to get even more sad. "But.. if you wanted it to be low key, I would have made it low key. If you didn't want me to know or hang out with you today then I'll leave you alone for awhile, I think that'll probably be best..." I said frowning and started to roll myself out of her room.

"No, I don't want you to leave me alone!" She cried out as I was rolling myself out of her room. "No! Asher! Don't go!" She called now crying. Ugh I hate it when she cries, all I want to do is hug her. But I resisted the urge and kept going. She chased after me. "Asher! I didn't mean to hurt you!" She said still crying.

"But you did and you really seemed like you meant to." I said. "Well, here I got you this. I know it's not a lot but I wanted to at least get you a present." I said as my eyes started to water. Not even waiting for her to open it, I rolled myself to the elevator. Before I hit the bottom I made a phone call.

"Hey, I need you. Can you meet me at the hospital on the roof?"

______________________________
Cliffhanger oops🤣🙈💙