Chapter 20

Belle clutches the baby close to her body as she scampers through the Underworld, confused by it's familiarity to her home. She makes her way to the library, hiding behind a book self when she hears a noise. The elevator doors open... and out pops her husband.

She gasps, and they make eye-contact.

" Rumple".

" Belle. What are you doing here... You're not...?".

" Oh, no, no, no. I'm alive. There was a portal. It brought me and Zelena".

" Ah, so that's what happened. The portal was meant for one, and it brought back three".

" If you... did this, who were you trying to bring over if not me? You didn't know Zelena had... no. The baby? Rumple...".

" No, it was Hades. He used leverage to force me. Look... long... long ago... I made a deal. One I never thought would come to pass".

" What did you do?".

" My boy was sick. In exchange for Baelfire's life... I signed a contract to give up my second-born child".

" Hades is going to take away Scarlett?".

" Not exactly... he altered the deal. Gave me a choice. I either give him my second-born child... or her children... along with my third born".

" But you don't have a third-born".

Just then, Belle's eyes widen.

" I'm pregnant?", She asks, " We're gonna have a baby! A-A baby that you've already sold".

" N-Not entirely. B-But we can fix that. I'll use all my power. We can fix this".

" Power?..... You're still the Dark One".

" Yes. See, the thing is I love this dagger. And I also love you. Both are possible. Look, you wanted me to be... a better man. You've done that. But, if you want me to be a different man, I'm sorry. This is who I am".

" You weren't always".

" Yes, I was. Even when I was a coward, I craved power. The only difference is, now I have it. And I won't let it go. Not again".

" Right. Not even for me?".

" Belle, there's something you need to realize. Falling in love with the man behind the beast isn't really what happened to you. You fell in love with me because there was both a man and a beast. Neither exists without the other".

" No. No. I cannot condone this. You being... like this. Not again".

" Yes, you can. You just have to choose to. And if you do... we can have what's important-- family, happiness. It's your choice".

"No, I'm, uh. I'm not making any choices... now now. Not until you get me back to our friends... and you fix... all of this".

" Then that's what I shall do... but you'll see I'm right".