Chapter 6

A weekend with an awkward meeting amongst little explanations and a phone call later, Chloe finds herself sitting beside Aubrey in a mountain of blankets; a pint of ice-cream in hand as the Princess Bride plays on her TV. Aubrey took the few words Chloe gave her when she had called her over, the blonde currently on a thin line of understanding. Chloe wishes she could tell her everything, about Beca, and her own involvement in the damage of the breakup. She knows she can't though, she doesn't want to lose two people in her life right now.

Chloe wasn't sad for the reasons Aubrey initially thought when the redhead announced the breakup. She was more upset about the man she once thought she knew, as foolish as it sounded. Of course she wasn't in love with Tom, she knew that wouldn't be happening the first month into their relationship. She does love him though. She's known him for years, long enough to know she was losing a friend more than a boyfriend.

Maybe she's just upset, because she wasn't fond of the idea of being single again. She had been dating Tom since their sophomore year. On a long scale of things, it wasn't that long; but two years of having someone always there, and then suddenly not, wasn't something she would just get used to quickly again. She wants to say it would be all right since she has Beca now, but they weren't dating. Chloe likes to think the girl doesn't hate her as much now, but knows she still isn't coming out on top of the girl's list. Beca doesn't even stay around much after they have sex, Chloe doesn't even know what the girl's favorite color is. So she has no account to rely on the girl for much more than just fucking.

She thinks about how she cheated too, and that her right for anger aimed at Tom was hypocritically taken away from her. She just didn't expect his side to involve more than one girl. It may have not been 'half of the softball team' like Beca heard, but he admitted it happened quite a few times with more than one girl.
Chloe didn't stay long to listen to his reasoning, she didn't want that playing through her mind all week; compelling an obsession of what she could've done to prevent it. She could see the pain in his eyes as she left his house, making her wonder if he was desolate for the same reasons she was. She's been playing with the idea of maybe trialing a friendship again one day, but knows they would both be off to different places by the time she felt ready for it.

Aubrey ends up staying the night, sleeping in the girl's bed as a reassurance of Chloe's sudden feeling of loneliness.

The next day at school, Chloe can't help but keep low and avoid any possible places that Tom usually lingers. She doesn't want to deal with looking him in the eyes, already knowing she would want to tell him about Beca. He was in pain, Chloe can see that plainly. She wants to assure him he wasn't the only one in the wrong doing here, but knows it's too risky. She has a feeling Beca doesn't want their secret to unveil just as much as she does. There was no way Chloe wanted to attend a school where people knew she stoops as low as fucking someone who probably hates her.

Luckily, her friends are sincere and don't ask too many questions during the day. Jessica and Ashley have been proving to be sincerer than she originally thought, making her wonder what altered inside her head to finally appreciate that. She's starting to think that she can't read people anymore. She couldn't read Tom or Beca properly, and she had slept with both of them. Something she believes to be a very intimate action, even if her moments with Beca were haste and for pleasure only. She already knows she wouldn't have slept with just anyone the night of the dance, oddly as it sounds. Beca may be the most irritating girl Chloe knows, but she believes there's still something between them. Even if it's the least, vital, piece in their lives.