When I See You

Inspo: When I See You By Fantasia 

I don't know why I'm such a damn dork. Every single time I'm around him I find I way to embarrass myself. I trip over, I drop something, and there was that one time that I was staring so hard that I walked right into the door of someone's open locker. Do you know how embarrassing that is? I slammed my head against that kid's locker door so hard that it closed the door. Everyone was looking at me like I was a nut case.

It's just another reason they laugh at me, another reason would be the braces, but the worst would be the thick glasses I had to wear because my eyes were basically good for nothing. I mean seriously, they're so bad I might as well be blind because without them I can't see.

The month before I started 11th grade my mother got the idea in her head that I needed to change. She said I was getting older, but I was still walking around looking like an awkward 12-year-old. Honestly the comment was a little rude, but it's my mom so I'm not able to say anything. At the family get together that we have at the end of every summer she grabbed one of my cousins, they called her Tookie, and pulled us both aside to talk about her plans to make me over.

Now my mama never let me hand out with her too much because she said she was 'too grown'. That was my mother's way of saying that she didn't want me hanging with her because she started having sex when she was 13 and my mother thought she was a bad influence, but there was one thing that you couldn't take away from her. She was beautiful and she dressed herself well, so well that you wouldn't even know that she was a thot.

Over the next couple weeks, we went to mall, hair salons, and took multiple trips to the optometrist to get me fitted for contacts. On the first day of school she had me looking like something right off the explore page on Instagram and that would have been great, but the thing that no one took into consideration was that underneath all that I was still a big clumsy idiot.

When I walked down the hallways now people stopped and looked and for once it wasn't because I had tripped over my own feet and was laid out on the floor.

"So, this is really you?" I closed the door to my locker and standing there was my best friend Natalia. I had escaped the glasses thick as bullet proof glass, but she wasn't so lucky. Her glasses were still just as big and just as thick.

"Yeah, I had a makeover over the break." I said to her.

"you look amazing." She said.

"thanks." I replied.

I turned around and coming down the hallway was the person who always turned me into a big mess. Mr. Kirsnick Ball and his whole crew came swaggering down the hallway.

"So, it's safe to say you still like him." She said slamming my locker shut.

"He's beautiful." I said.

"this is your chance take a lap," she said hitting my arm.

"Take a lap?" I asked her.

"walk past him, and make sure he sees you, but for the right reasons." She said.

"okay, here." I handed her my books but as soon as I took a step I was jerked back in the opposite direction.

"What the hell!?" I reached behind my head and grabbed my hair.

"Ha! She got her ponytail stuck in her locker." Some random kid shouted.

"shit, I must have closed your hair in the door." Natalia said. She started yanking on the door, but it was locked, and she didn't know my combination. By this time everyone was laughing, and he was looking.

"I can't fucking believe this," I said.

"What's your combination so I can open it?" she asked.

"15-37-28." I said to her.

They passed by and all his friend were laughing just like everyone else and I caught his gaze for a moment. All his did was raise an eyebrow and kept walking.

For the next three periods every time i waked the halls they laughed. Now instead of being known as the girl with the super thick glasses I was the one who got her hair caught in the locker door. The only time I got a moment of peace was when I left in the middle of class to go to the bathroom. I didn't really have to go I just didn't want to sit in class anymore. I went to my locker to take some of the books from my backpack because it was almost time for school to get out and I didn't want to fight through the sea of people in the hallway to get to my locker then have to race to get to the bus before it pulled off.

"so, did you really get your hair stuck in your locker earlier or...." His voice trailed off in the middle of his sentence, but that voice was one that I had imagined a million times. I turned around and standing right behind me was Kirsnick Ball himself. He was looking at me and I was looking at him and no matter how much I wanted to I couldn't make any words come out of my mouth.

"uh, yeah it was stuck." I replied.

"how didn't you feel that." He asked me.

"it's fake," I blurted out. He just made a face. "I mean uh. I couldn't feel it cause it's a faux ponytail. If you haven't noticed I'm real good at embarrassing myself."

"what do you mean?" he asked.

"I got my hair caught in the locker, then that one time I ran into the door of that guy's locker cause I wasn't looking, and then that time when I fell in the middle of a cafeteria-"

"oh, that was you." He said.

"yeah, that was me." I said.

"sorry, I don't mean to laugh." He said.

"you didn't laugh when everyone else did." I said absentmindedly.

"to be honest, I didn't know what was going on. I was listening to music and didn't hear anything I just seen everyone laughing." He said.

"oh, so you didn't see?" I asked him. He shook his head.

"take!" called a voice from down the hallway. "what you doing nigga?"

"I'm comin," he shouted back before looking back over at me. "uh, I'll talk to you some other time." He said before sprinting down the hallway in the direction of his friend. I stood there for a second watching him leave and that's when I realized it was the first time, I had ever been around him and I didn't completely embarrass myself.

"Progress, girl, we're making progress."