Chapter 13

"Ally I need a Groundbridge!" Soundwave shouted into his comm as he reached out towards Raf "Ally!"

A shot from Bumblebee's blaster sent fizzling bits of snow flying into Soundwave's face and Raf scrambled away from the scorched patch of earth with a scream.

"Raf! Raf are you alright? Rafael!" Soundwave ducked beneath another shot from the red Autobot, as he frantically tried to pinpoint the boy's location "Raf!!"

Bumblebee charged across the clearing just as Soundwave saw the brown of Raf's coat, sprawled out in the snow.

He lunged forwards, his fingers curling around Raf and flinging him to the side as Bumblebee collided with him.

Spark flashed and metal screeched as Bumblebee's fist smashed against Soundwave's chest, going straight for his spark. Soundwave pulled his arm back, bashing the scout on the back of his head. Bumblebee slipped back, optics contracting for a second, giving Soundwave enough time to leap to his feet and his tentacles shot out, crackling with electricity as they clawed at Bumblebee's face. Bumblebee shot at them, causing Soundwave to snarl in pain and retract them, instead jumping forwards, slashing with the razor edges of his arm. Bumblebee received a massive scratch across his shoulder and relented, his optics elsewhere. Soundwave glanced off to the side and nearly screamed as he saw Raf lying still on his back, his glasses fallen off his face and in a dent of snow.

Bumblebee went for the boy, guns out and Soundwave threw himself in front of the unmoving human, taking the full brunt of Bumblebee's momentum, they both went down in the snow, grappling, clawing, shooting and zapping. Soundwave arched his back and hoped that he hadn't landed on Raf. The thought distracted him for a split second. Bumbebee's blaster smashed into his visor, sending spider web cracks through the glass.

----

Raf woke up, soaking wet and shivering, but not in the snow. He blinked a couple of times at the blurry world and realized he didn't have his glasses on. Sitting up he felt around until he touched the familiar shape and picked it up and placed it securely on his nose.

"You feeling alright?"

Raf started at the question and looked around, realizing he was in the back seat of an unfamiliar car.

"B...Breakdown?"

"Yeah, it's me. You warm enough?"

"Where's Soundwave?" Raf scooted over to the door and tried to pull it open, but as he reached out the locked clicked down "Hey!"

"It's too cold for you. Soundwave's fine."

Raf realized he could hear voices and leaned up to the window, his breath fogging the glass. He wiped it clear with the edge of his sleeve and peered out.

Soundwave, Megatron, and Knockout stood in the middle of the clearing. The once even and pure snow had been churned up and mixed with black earth and bare patches. Bumblebee was nowhere to be seen.

Raf had to focus to hear what they were saying, but from Knockout's tone of voice, it was clear he was not happy.

"What where you thinking Soundwave! You could've gotten him killed!"

Raf could see Soundwave hold up his hands defensively "I didn't know Bumblebee was here. I scanned twice and there wasn't any sign of anything."

"Bumblebee is well know for slipping under the radar! And anyways why would you take Raf off the Ally when I specifically ordered that he should rest?!"

"He was feeling fine and I wasn't going to have him out here long, Doctor. We were having fun until the Autobot showed up."

"Having fun!? If Bumblebee didn't disintegrate him then he could've froze to death."

"We where only going to be out here for a little while."

"What if the Groundbridge went down!? Then what where you planning on doing?"

"Knockout," Megatron stopped the irate doctor before he could go on "That's enough. I had a hand in it as well. I gave them permission."

"But...but...urgh," Knockout was obviously restraining himself from pouring out his opinions and anger on his leader "Fine. But you put me in charge of the human's wellbeing. I don't know how you expect me to do my job if you don't let me make these decisions!"

"Noted, Doctor, I understand."

"Groundbridge prepped if you're ready to return," Dreadwing's heavy voice rumbled over the comms.

"Yes," Megatron replied "Open it."

"Sit down," Breakdown said as he started moving and his seatbelt clipped over Raf.

The Groundbridge whirled around them and Raf felt a bizarre buzzing in his teeth as Breakdown drove through it.

"I thought Starscream was manning the Groundbridge," Megatron asked as they came out into the corridor of the Ally.

Dreadwing shrugged "He was. But MECH called- another emergency or something- and since Breakdown was off with you, Starscream went instead."

"Why does MECH have so many emergencies?" Soundwave sighed as Laserbeak zipped around his head, admonishing him for scaring her so badly.

"I know right?" Breakdown said, transforming after letting Raf out "It's almost like they're trying to fight the injustices of a massive government on their own."

Dreadwing rolled his eyes.

"Raf are you-?" Knockout started, but stopped as Raf ran past him and threw his arms as far as he could around Soundwave's foot.

"I...I'm fine, really Raf," Soundwave knelt down "I'm sorry. Come on you should probably go rest."

Raf sniffled and reached up towards Soundwave, who picked him up carefully and walked away down the corridor.

"Have you talked to Silas about what we're going to do with him?" Knockout asked quietly after Soundwave was out of earshot "He's practically back to full health and... and this isn't really the best place for a small human, or any human really."

"Yes and honestly I think Silas is as stumped as we are. Really, there isn't anywhere safe. For the foreseeable future Knockout, he's going to stay with us."

"Megatron? Incoming call from Starscream."

"Alright Dreadwing, patch him through."