Chapter 16

To her surprise, Sierra found herself waking up. Which meant she'd fallen asleep. Somehow. But her body didn't seem pleased that she'd fallen asleep on rocky ground or that it'd been woken up so soon.

"Commander?" She mumbled, rubbing dazedly at her eyes as she peered upwards.

"Shh!" He waved a slender hand to quiet her.

"What is it?" She asked hissing in a stage whisper, uncertain that he'd be able to hear her if she lowered her voice all the way.

"Someone's circling us," just past his voice she could make out the drone of an engine.

"Arcee?"

"I'm not sure, I think-" before he could finish the thought an aerodynamic shape dropped out of the sky and banked sharply towards them.

In the dark, Sierra was positive she recognized Arcee's missile-like alt-mode and ducked backwards behind Starscream's ankle. He seemed to agree with her as he drew out one sword with his undamaged arm.

The action didn't deter the oncoming craft and it arched downwards. Midair it transformed and a wave of dust billowed out as their feet hit the ground.

"Soundwave!" Starscream lowered his blade with an obvious hint of relief in his voice.

"You look terrible!" was the quick, amiable reply "What happened? You get in a fight with a paper shredder?"

"Arcee, so, close enough," Starscream stepped forwards but paused and winced "Please tell me the doctor's with you."

"The doctor is with us."

"Really?"

"Nah, it's just me and 8 and 6. The Ally picked up Autobot signals and the Groundbridge's down again."

"Ah brilliant."

Sierra felt lost and a tad bit forgotten as the two giants greeted each other. She didn't move with Starscream and found herself in the open when he stepped forwards. Suddenly the night was freezing cold and she hugged her arms around her chest. The movement caught Soundwave's attention and he tilted his head.

"Made a friend?"

"Oh," Starscream seemed to remember her "This is Sierra. It's... complicated."

"Hello," Soundwave ignored Starscream's comment in favor of hunching over, closer to Sierra. With a jolt she realized he didn't appear to have a face. He crooked one of his gangling arms and extended it towards her, uncurling his hand and offering her a single digit "Name's Soundwave."

"Sierra," she rasped up at the faceless creature and wrapped her both hands around his finger, giving it a careful shake.

"A pleasure," he straightened back up and with a considerably quieter, less chipper tone asked Starscream "What happened?"

"I'll tell you later, help me with my arm first."

"Oh, right. Sit."

---

"Retreat!" Megatron's bellow furled out across the bridge and the comms "Insecticon swarm! Turn this ship around!"

Any further orders were drowned in the all-encompassing scream of beating metal wings. Despite being deaf to any other sound, every Decepticon on the Ally could feel as the first Insecticon claws dug into the hull plating. The screech of ripping plates could be heard, even above the swarm.

The Ally's engines bawled in protest at the added baggage as ship slowly banked and began to pick up speed. The swarm couldn't hope to match the speed of the warship, but the ones that had already latched on were there to stay, burrowing into the skin of the ship like so many maggots.