Chapter 22

"What do you mean he's not coming back online?"

Dreadwing managed to say it first, but Knockout could see it on all their faces.

"I mean," he repeated listlessly "He's not going to wake up."

"Why not, what's wrong with him?"

"I....I don't know," Knockout admitted, then fixed his gaze on a fascinating wall panel.

"What do you mean you don't know?" Starscream spluttered after a couple of stunned seconds "How can you just not know? There should at least be an obvious reason as to why someone won't wake up?"

Sierra agreed silently. Although from her perch on the Commander's shoulder, it looked like Megatron had more than a few reasons not to wake up. She hadn't seen when he'd hit the ground, but it took the other 'Cons several hours of combing through mud and staving off Insecticons to gather up the various pieces of their leader. Then several more hours for Knockout to put him back together. It still looked like he could use a bit more attention.

"I don't know, everything considered, he's doing well, just not responding to any of our attempts to wake him up," Knockout ran a hand across his face and slumped fractionally. He radiated exhaustion, despite his stiff pose.

Behind him, Breakdown wasn't even trying to pretend he wasn't tired. He was leaning against a consol, eyes dim and half shut.

"What do we do?" One of the Vehicon's asked. Sierra had no idea which one. Why did they all have to match?

But suddenly everyone was staring at her. No, staring at Starscream, she only happened to be on his shoulder, where she could feel as he practically wilted beneath the attention.

"We keep going as usual," he said, forcing his wings to arch upwards "This isn't the first time Megatron has been incapacitated and it won't be the last."

He lifted his head and scanned the small crowd, then squinted "Where's Shockwave?"

"Oh," Knockout heaved a sigh "I told him to set up in that back up lab. Figured he couldn't hurt anybody back there. Also, we won't have to see him as often."

"Right, how long ago was that?"

Knockout looked like he wanted to melt into the floor.

"I'll check on him," Starscream sighed "The rest of you return to your duties."

Quietly everyone filed out, Starscream taking up the rear, leaving the two exhausted medics with the dismal whirr of lifesupport.

----

Starscream stalked through a maze of increasingly dark hallway, muttering to himself on occasion.

"Are you okay?" Sierra dared after several minutes of listening to him click and chatter in some undeciferable dielct.

He startled and slowed his pace considerably "I forgot about you."

"You do see to have bigger things to deal with."

He held his hand up, palm flat so she could step down onto it.

"You scared me, you know," he said, bringing her up to his eye level "When I woke up and couldn't find you."

"Sorry," she ducked her head, trying to hide her blush "It was an accident."

"I should hope so, how did you end up in Groundbridge control room though, just out of curiosity?"

She explained and for a second she almost thought Starscream would laugh.

But he didn't.

"Sorry," she said, after several seconds of quiet.