The Great Fourth Ninja War

(Ran's POV)

It was a battle of the living against the reincarnated. I knew in the middle of all of these faces, Itachi is bound to appear.
In the middle of all the chaos, Naruto and I had to separate.

I was following Sasuke's chakra

I was following Sasuke's chakra. All my hopes of him finding the answers for himself have crumbled. He cannot be on the enemies' side when he doesn't even comprehend the plan. But before I charged in, I felt a touch that was familiar to me.
I ran in his general direction, my vision blured with tears. I felt his warmth as he got closer and soon I was in his arms just like before.

"I am sorry, Ran, for what I have put you through" I hugged him for a short moment before I pulled away.
"Now is not the time, Itachi. Besides, you have nothing to apologize for. I regret nothing" I small smiled at him. I knew at the end of it I will have to let him go again but I somehow convinced myself that if I denied it hard enough he will stay right here.

He of all people wanted to help guide Sasuke more. I feel like now he understands why I wanted to let Sasuke know the truth. He had rushed ahead and I followed, though enemies have soon gotten between me and him.

I was fighting them, thinking of my goal that was lying just a few steps ahead. I was not as weak as I once was. I have not needed Diyguel's power thus far. It didn't matter, I was outnumbered and they were enough to keep me away from helping Itachi.

The fight continued for what felt like an eternity, I was drenched in my own sweat, took some time to seal all of those bodies. The distinct heartbeats coming from the cave, that chakra that was overflowing was no-doubt Orochimaru's yet at the same time, it felt so different.

When I got there, the fight was already over. it was calm, it meant one thing to me; Itachi stopped whoever was there.
"Itachi?" I felt a lump in my throat as I was calling his name. his chakra was slowly dissipating and I was dealing with my own fears. I never got a reply from him.

(Sasuke's POV)

I was left alone yet another time but he apologized this time. I was deprived of him, of a family, of life all because of people going after power. I was lost in my thoughts when I heard her voice.

She holds the key; the ten tails Jinchuriki. I could end it right here and now, put an end to the blood shed, it would only cost one life. she was breathing heavy, battle marks all over her body, a blank look on her face with dull-looking purple eyes. There was no joy and no life in it; then tears formed and in a matter of seconds, the cold-blooded wolf became a gentle lamb.