Part 3- Lunch

Sanem's POV

Can we go to Sydney, baba?

Sure daughter ;replied my father in law : what do you think Can? Asked baba.

OK wherever Sanem wants; Can answered.

I could see my father glaring at me but I couldn't care less. My father got me married so his responsibilities are over as I seem more of a burden than a daughter to him. So what I decide now should not concern him.

My father in law seemed to love the prospect of us going to Sydney or should I say luck was working on my favor. Within half an hour he already had our flight tickets for tomorrow booked; though my father intervened a couple of times by naming better options.

Now as everything was working how I wanted the only thing remaining was talking to Can.

-------////////--------

Can took me to a beautiful sea facing restaurant. I was mesmerized by the view from where we were sitting, when a cough attracted my attention.

So do you have a boyfriend waiting for you at Sydney? Asked Can casually while getting me chocked of the water I was sipping.

Careful; Can patted my back to relief me of the cough.

No!! Why do you men always have a one track mind huh; I snapped at him.

I just thought that maybe there is one as you said you don't want this marriage and it looks like you were forced to marry. Can replied.

Yes, I don't want this marriage and I was forced to marry but that doesn't mean that you can think I  have a boyfriend waiting for me at Sydney,; I almost yelled getting agitated again.

Calm down Sanem, I just randomly asked, I am sorry; Can said.

I got myself to calm down as I have to address this situation sensitively because I am yet not sure of how he will react or decide.

Look, Can I know I should have spoken to you before marriage about all of it, you might even think I was unjust to you but believe me I had no choice; I spoke looking at him in the eye and his attentive look gave me encouragement to continue.

I have got my dream job of becoming a full fledged writer from the top publishing house in Australia. I said as I showed him my - torn but joined by tape - confirmation letter.

He looked at me confused and said, if its your dream job then why did you tear the letter?

Baba; I told him.

What are you planing to do now?  So that's why you chose Sydney. He asked as if joining a jigsaw puzzle.

Yes; I tell him as I am yet trying to figure out what he thinks by his neutral reaction.

--------///------

After a 12 minute pause(yes I literally counted) Can began to speak from his deep thought; Well Sanem, even I did not want this marriage. My father wanted me to settle down as he was afraid I will turn into a nomad as I never wanted to come home and just travel places.

Then why did you say yes for this marriage, I asked. You are a son so you can decide whatever you want; I continued.

From where did that come from Sanem, what does being a son got to do with saying yes or no? Asked Can looking at me as if I have lost it.

In my house, wait let me make it precise, as per my father, only a son can dream of doing something big in life or decide whether to say yes or no, or voice their opinions , or do whatever they want; I declared as if saying a speech.

That's a biased opinion of your father; Can replied.

I know, that's why I am here today, using my honeymoon as a option to reach my dreams; I pointed.

OK Sanem, will you go to the publishing office with this torn letter and tell them that you are to join, he asked me suddenly.

No, I say pulling out an envelop from my bag, I have got them to give me another confirmation letter.

Girl you are something!! If you had another letter why did you show me the torn one; he interrogated.

2 reasons - 1) so you could know my story and reason of marriage. And 2) if you end up tearing it again like my father, a least I don't lose the new letter I lied to get; I finished.

What did you lie? He quipped.

I told them that I had lost it under negligence and I would be grateful if they send me another and I am terribly sorry for the in convenience. And here I have the new letter; I say patting at the envelop.

Why did you have to say negligence as it can effect your first impression? Can questioned.

The world is a cruel place for a woman, you can't trust just anybody and tell strangers your problems and have them taking advantage of you, so saying negligence seemed a better option; I reasoned.

You are a wise woman Sanem, Can said proudly smiling.

Thanks for the compliment; I couldn't help but beam.

Thank you too; Can replied

For what; I ask

For trusting and sharing your problems with me, as in a way I am yet a stranger to your world.; he stated.

While I was speechless!!

--------/////---------