Part 6 - Sanem is my Respect & Pride!!

Can POV

Today we will be taking the flight to Australia, I have traveled to every corner of the globe but today I seem to be nervous. Almost half of my life I have traveled alone without any care and now she is mine to care for. I have traveled place to place without any safeguard but now she is mine to protect.
I have traveled everywhere like a nomad but now she is my home.
Sanem, my Sanem, mine, just mine and only mine, to cherish, to love, to create a home, to make a family, to grow old together.
I remembered meeting her the first time when my father was to ask her hand in marriage for me.
Sanem came to the sitting room carrying a tray with cups of coffee and water for us. She wore a red ankle length dress, and her hair was left lose, and how much I decided to say no before coming, the first sight of her memorized me in such a way that I just couldn't say no.

Son do you like my daughter asked Nihat uncle.

Yes, evet; I said as I stared at her.

Then let's exchange the rings; said my father.

Don't we need to ask Sanem also; I asked

Yes daughter do you agree to our decision of Can as your future husband; dad asked

After about a minute Sanem looked up to me straight in my eyes and said; Evet.

I was brought back to reality when Sanem's hold on my t-shirt tightened, I realized she has woken up, I looked at her to find her startled at the position we were in again, her head on my chest and her hand hugging me on my stomach and my arm round her waist pulling her closer to me.

Good morning, I said cheerfully to get her at ease.

Morning, she replied back getting away from me.

Our flight is at 4:00 pm , so do you want to meet your parents before leaving? I asked

She stiffened at my question but replied me back saying; yes but only my mother and sister! Baba has a feeling why I am adamant to go to Australia, I don't want him to create a fuss to stop me.

Sanem, I said getting off the bed and holding her hand I continued; We have decided and We are going so you don't need to worry about him, I am with you, Tamam.

She nodded and went to the bathroom.

_------_

Our morning went smoothly with all of us- Mom, Dad, Emre, Sanem and Me- having breakfast together, chatting, laughing, cracking jokes and of course Emre teasing Sanem and me and to my surprise mom and dad were playing along, leaving both of us blushing.

My time will come Emre, I will tease you non stop when you get married; I told Emre patting his back.
------
It was close to noon so I told mom and dad that we will leave early as we would also want to meet Sanems family before leaving. So I put our luggage in the car and we said our byes and headed to Sanems mothers home.
-------

As I parked the car aside, I saw Sanem fidgeting with her scarf nervously. I caught hold of her hands and made her look at me; Sanem! Whatever happens inside always remember, I am with you and we will face it together. I said, to which she smiled at me.

We were welcomed by Mevkibe mom and Leyla, Nihat baba didn't seem anywhere in sight. They knew we were leaving for Australia today and Mevkibe mom forced us to stay for lunch. Till lunch was ready, Sanem showed me her room and her writing desk, though small I loved her room because it smelled of her and everything was touched by her. After a while
Sanem went to the kitchen to help her mother and I was in the sitting room chatting with Sanems childhood friends Muzo and Ayhan. It was nice to know about the little things Sanem used to do when small. After our chat Muzo initiated playing backgammon to which I willingly agreed. After an hour of playing Mevkibe mom asked us to come to eat as lunch is ready. Muzo and Ayhan decided to leave as both their respective family would be waiting for them at lunch as well. While saying our byes to them Nihat baba came home, I greeted him and he hugged me back but I realized he pulled his hand away as Sanem was about to take his blessing and ignored her completely. I got angry and was about to say my mind when Sanem caught my hand and shook her head telling me not to say anything.

In minutes we were all at the dining table eating with only me and Mevkibe mom chatting. Leyla was laughing at our jokes,while Sanem was quite and Nihat baba gave Sanem angry glares when I suddenly turned to look at him, he stopped and stared at his plate. I got angry again and Sanem stopped me again. We finished our lunch and Mevkibe mom was going to make us all coffee to which I told her that I would help only to be turned down by Nihat baba saying that "its not a man's job" and that made me scoff in disagreement, only to be hushed up by Mevkibe mom and Sanem this time. We sat together at the sitting room again and Mevkibe mom tried to start a conversion to break the awkward silence.

So son what time will you reach Australia? Mevkibe mom asked.

The flight is about 24 hours with a stop over at Hong Kong for approx 5 hours. We will phone you when we reach ; I told mom.

Sanem has never gone so far away, but I have full faith you will take care of her,my son ; mom said teary eyed and I went up and kneeled down before mom caught her hands and said; Mom, I promise you, Sanem will always come before me and I will always protect and care for her. I will never let your trust in me fail.

Even ask your daughter to be a good wife and take care of him, Mevkibe ; baba spoke

I will baba; I heard Sanem reply.

You can never be a good wife because a good wife has to be a good daughter first, and you have disobeyed your father how will you learn to obey your husband; baba shouted at Sanem

How does following my dreams got to do with disobeying you; Sanem asked angrily crying.

Look at this girl yet defying me!! Baba shouted and continued; its a shame that you are my daughter and I wish..before baba could end the sentence I spoke; Sanem is my respect and pride and I would not like you to say anything against her; I almost roared and everyone in the room were standing with a shocked face.

Son you don't understand its better you don't encourage her; baba yet went on.

Baba please, if you can't encourage Sanem at least don't break her and about Sanem not being a good daughter, you are wrong because if she wanted she could have rebelled against you and walked away from the house to pursue her career, but she didn't because she knows that she is your honour, and she will never do anything to disgrace mom or you, and about Sanem being a good wife, she is and she always will be; I said and Baba walked out of the house after hearing me. I hope one day he will realize how wrong he is.

I turned to Sanem only to see her in tears, I went up to her wiped her tears and cupped her face.

Thank you Can for standing by me; Sanem said.

You are my respect and pride Sanem and I will not allow anyone to speak against you; Saying that I pulled Sanem into a tight hug.

------////-------