Chapter Five

Gradually, one by one, Dick began to accept each of his family members. Bruce was the easiest, once he ignored the new wrinkles and the grey-streaked hair, it was still evidently Bruce underneath. Jason and Tim were a little harder, but all told they were just larger, older versions of the boys he remembered. It was Damian that made him want to cry. The little boy he remembered was gone, replaced by a young man nearing his 30's. If he thought really hard, he could still remember what it felt like to hold the squirming child in his arms.

Dick thought he was going to break down at the memory until a pair of arms wrapped themselves around him. He went stock still for a moment until a voice whispered.

'It's still me, Richard.' Damian was careful not to use his last name. Not after the reaction last time he used it.

Dick stayed still for a moment, but the arms felt comforting and they still smelled like Damian. Slowly he began to relax, leaning into the hug. This wasn't his life, wasn't the life he was torn away from. But it was ok. For now.

They gave him space to wash up, new clothes to replace the black shirt and pants the Court had dressed him in. When he felt a little more together, they fed him and offered to let him sleep but Dick refused so they settled for talking while Dick lay in bed.

The Bats sat talking around Dick's bed for a couple of hours, Bruce watching happily as Dick relaxed more and more. Until a topic they hadn't wanted to address yet came up by accident.

Damian looked at his watch and turned to Bruce.

'Father, did you let Pennyworth know that we wouldn't be back for dinner?'

Dick's head cocked to the side and he stared.

'You've still got Alfred working? He must be way past retirement by now!'

Everyone looked down to the floor, not meeting Dick's golden gaze and not wanted to be the one to answer the question. Bruce finally swallowed and took Dick's hand. The boy flinched slightly at the touch but tried his best not to pull away.

'Dick, Alfred died three years ago.'

Dick froze, even his breathing stopped to the point Bruce became worried.

'Dick, please breathe.'
Dick shook his head slightly, he knew the second he took a breath he would loose it. He looked angrily at Damian, confused at his statement. Was it a cruel trick?

Bruce seemed to register this, he shook his head. 'Damian was talking about Annie. She's Alfred's great niece.'

It was Damian's mortified expression that softened Dick's own. Slowly he let out a shaky breath, deciding for the moment he would focus on Annie, not ...

'What does she do?' He asked.

'A bit of everything. She originally came to America after she left the Civil Service in England. She helped look after Alfred for a few years. When he...passed, she asked if she could come work for the family. Then after the Power's incident at the company, she started working in the office as-well, she's my eyes and ears to make sure nothing goes on without my knowledge again.'

Dick remembered Terry saying that his first mission as Batman was to take down the man who had taken over Wayne Corp. He was glad Terry hadn't mentioned Annie, he was glad he had heard it from Bruce.

'Does she know about everything else?'

'Oh yes, she's very helpful in that department as well. She even helps Terry train sometimes.' Bruce smiled sadly. Dick could tell he really liked Annie and judging by his brothers faces they did too.

'I'm surprised you haven't asked her to be Batgirl.' Dick mused.

Damian laughed darkly. 'One hour on the streets with McGinnis and she would kill him.'