Chapter Eight

A few weeks passed and Dick's face became a well-known entity within the base. Those who Dick had known in his past were happy to have him back in their lives and those who hadn't known him quickly grew to love him.

Ben was especially fond of the person he had come to know as 'Uncle Dick.' Whenever he finished school he would go to the base to spend some time with the Talon, this time was mostly spent teaching him how to use modern technology and playing video games. Ben kept pestering him to teach him some acrobatic tricks but Dick refused. He had yet to return to the gym after his fall and avoided training or the subject of training at all costs.

Other than Ben, Terry tried to spend time with the long-lost bat. Technically they were the same age, so he felt it might be a comfort to have someone else around who wasn't an adult. Besides, Terry liked to hear Dick's stories of when he was Robin.

When Terry and Ben were at school, Dick spent a large part of his time alone, trying desperately not to think about the mess his life had become. His body had started to ache, the longing to fight growing worse every day. He could feel all his muscles twitching, the Talon in him straining to be used. But he would not allow his family to truly see the monster he had become. He would not show them what he was truly capable of. He lay on the sofa, trying to push down the feeling growing through his body.

'You ok?'

He'd been so focused on his body he hadn't heard Bruce approach. Opening his eyes he saw the man standing above his head, from the angle he was led it looked as though he was upside down.

'Yeh. Just thinking.' said Dick and Bruce gave him a sympathetic look.

'A dangerous pass time.'

Dick nodded and slowly sat up. He had been staying in the base for the past few weeks while Bruce and Annie sorted out security around the manor and a potential story they could spin to the press should anyone catch a glimpse of the boy. It had been a long wait, coming up with a believable story to explain the new kid with the yellow eyes had not been easy.

'It's ready.' Bruce grinned. 'You ready to go home?'

'Yes.' Dick said in relief. He followed Bruce towards the new zeta beams, more than ready for a change of scenery. The whirling lights of the zeta beam felt a little different to how he remembered them but the sudden darkness of the cave was extremely familiar. In fact, as he looked around he noticed the cave had changed very little. This was comforting. As they walked through the cave Dick could hear shouting.

'Oh my God McGinnis! Why do you have to be such a stubborn arse!' A woman's voice yelled.

'Why do you have to act as though you know more than me.' That sounded like Terry.

'I hate to break it to you kid, but you've been Batman a little over a year. I was an agent for her Majesty for nine years.'

'Well then, why don't you fly back home to London.'

There was an exasperated growl.

'I'm from Cheltenham!'

Bruce cleared his throat loudly and two heads popped up over the side of the catwalk above.

'When you two are quite finished.' Said Bruce, though it held no seriousness. The bickering appeared to amuse him.

'Sorry, Bruce. On my way.' Within minutes the two were down on the ground level and were making their way over to them. Dick took a moment to take in the appearance of Terry's companion. She was younger than he had expected, maybe early 30's, long brown hair tied in a braid down her back. She wore jeans and a t-shirt and had a pair of thin framed glasses perched on the top of her head. She was literally the opposite to Alfred in every way possible and yet she held herself with the same proud grace and when she spoke, without the echoing of the cave, her accent was thick with British poise and articulation.