Chapter Fifteen

There was a stunned silence from the heroes. What was Dick talking about? Why would the Court kidnap him, keep him prisoner and then train him to lead them? It didn't make sense.

It was the leader of the Parliament that seemed to recover first from this revelation. She laughed, throwing her head back and letting the sound echo off the walls of the chamber. When she stopped she looked back down at the Talon.

'Kill him.'

The others around the room soon swarmed around him with their blades drawn. Dick watched them from the corners of his eyes. He didn't move, didn't reach for his weapon. He knew the second he drew a blade he would truly become the Talon he was trained to be. He would avoid that at all costs.

One of the owls became too close, Dick turned and caught the sword and kicked out, knocking the owl back. He threw the sword to the side, allowing the wound to heal. Then he turned to the others. Two more jumped forward and Dick dodged their attacks, knocking one out from behind and catching the other in a headlock until they passed out.

'Impressive Gray Son, but I don't think those are skills the Court taught you. They are far to tame. Why don't you show us what you can really do.'

Dick's hand twitched towards his weapons but he resisted.

'Ben.' Dick said quietly and the redhead looked over to him fearfully. 'Close your eyes and don't open them until I say. Ok?'

Ben's eyes widened in horror for a second, but then he nodded and closed his eyes tight. From the darkness, he could hear thuds and breaking bones and screams. He felt his breath catch in his chest but he dared not open his eyes. The screams hadn't come from Dick, that much he was certain of. Plus, the owl's grip on his arm was tightening and he could feel their body tense in anticipation. He knew Dick was fighting and he assumed he was winning. He just hoped his friend wasn't killing them.

'Enough.' The head of the owls sounded extremely frustrated. 'Kill the boy.'

The next few moments were very confusing for Ben. With his eyes still screwed shut, he felt the owl at his side move, he heard his father yell for them to stop, then he felt a weight crash into him and send him to the floor. He cried out in pain and tried to push himself away from them.

'Ben, it's me. You can open your eyes now.' Ben's eyes snapped open and he could see Dick's yellow eyes inches from his own. Dick was on top of him, shielding him from the owls. There was a warm and wet sensation on his chest, he glanced down and saw blood.

'Oh my god.' Said Ben, grabbing at his chest to feel for a wound.

'You're ok.' Dick breathed. 'The blood isn't yours.'

Calming slightly, Ben realised there was a katana buried to the hilt in Dick's abdomen. But unlike any other injury, Ben had ever seen Dick receive, this one wasn't healing. The blood was pouring from it and Dick's body was shaking in agony.

'Ben, I need you to do exactly as I say.' Dick whispered. 'I need you to run to the others, as fast as you can.'

'What about you?' Said Ben. Dick looked really bad, he didn't want to leave him here.

'I'll be fine. Promise me, you will run and you won't look back.' Dick groaned as a wave of pain hit him. 'Promise me, Ben.'

'I promise.'

'Good. Now go.' Dick rolled off the teen and Ben sped off towards his father. Dick groaned and attempted to touch the sword through his middle. The wave of pain swept over him again and he released it. He could already feel his body going into shock. He had hit the sword with such force as he had tried to come between the owl and Ben, that it had pieced right the way through him. He could feel the burning of the electrum building in his stomach and back, trying to heal not only the entry wound and the exit wound but his organs. He had never had an injury like this. Cobb had always been careful to miss his organs as they took longer to heal. Internal bleeding was something a talon tried to avoid when possible, as it was a terrible inconvenience. But for Dick, it was agony. Unable to remove the blade, he could not heal, he was bleeding out.