Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Seated at the edge of the stage were Damian and Alex chatting away like the good friends they are. After twelve hours of rehearsals, Alex had Damian rubbing her feet. Damian was flirting and Alex was blushing, the sight left Daisy completely baffled that she was shocked into stupidity. ‘What the hell? Is it switched day or something? Stefan and Skye, Alex and Damian, well actually they were kind of expected, but Skye? And Stefan?’ Within five seconds Daisy caught herself.

“Oh D.”

“Oh Daze. Wussup?”

“Apparently you. So when I getting my foot rub?”

“After mine.” Alex teased. Daisy got called to the back to help with some stuff so she left.

“Come on Alex, its Friday night, let's do something fun.”

“I’d love to but I can’t, I have to stay here.”

“Then let me take yuh to get something to eat, knowing you, yuh eh eat nothing as yet.”

“I eat…this morning… Way we going?”

“Rico’s”

“That’s too far, my feet hurting.”

“He park right in front de school. Or that too far?”

“Okay, but only because muh belly talking to meh.” On the way back, they snuck up to the roof of the library to eat, talk and have a little fun. He knew that carrying her there would make her relax, she felt comfortable around him. They spent the rest of the night on the roof, enjoying each other’s company.

Half past twelve in the morning, Alex woke up to find herself covered with Damian’s jacket and wrapped in his arms. They were still on the school library’s roof. After finding their way off school property and walking home, they were at Alex’s front porch. It took her by surprise when Damian leaned in and planted a firm kiss on her lips.

“D, I’m not…”

“I know, I’m sorry”

“It’s okay. It was just a kiss… Right?”

“Yeah, it was.”

“Reach home safe”

“Who says I’m going home?”

“Go home Damian”

“Tell Aunty Clara I said hi”

“Okay” And with that he left. Alex entered the house using her key, went straight to her room, took a bath, donned her most comfy pjs and went straight to bed.

DAY 16 

Morning sun officially came, peaking its way through the windows and shining directly on Alex’s face. Upon the bed jumped Spark – Alex’s small fluffy grey and white dog – wagging his tail and licking her nose. Seeing her eyes flutter open made him bark and jump in excitement.

After working through the day at school, everyone thought that a break was well-deserved, so they went to the pool. The girls were in their panties and bras while the guys wore their boxers. Everyone was in the pool except for Alex, who was up in the bleachers reading her favorite book; Kiss of the Vampire by Cynthia Garner. In walked Tizzy aka Shorty, she just happened to be the last girl out of the changing room.

Shorty placed her bag on the last bleacher bench and went to the pool, not realizing she was at the deep end of the pool. The same time she landed in the pool was the same time Alex looked up from the book and at her friends in the pool. Alex realized that Shorty was struggling in the water, so she dropped everything, stumbling down the bleachers and into the pool, to save her friend. Little did she realize that she‘d twisted her ankle on the way down.

A while after the guys pulled Tizzy out of the pool, Alex placed her hand on her chest, searching for comfort in her necklace that was given to her by her grandmother, but it wasn’t there. She limped her way over to the edge of the pool and spotted something at the bottom of the pool. ‘That might be it.’ And it was; it was her Vintage jewelry red gemstone heart love pendant long chain necklace Angel Wing. Usually she wrapped it twice because she thought that it was too long, but she didn’t this time.

Alex took a deep breath and dived in. Shorty’s scream alerted the others causing them to rush to the pool. At the bottom of the pool, Alex saw the red stone and reached for it. She had a little trouble going down, but the true problem started when she tried to push-off from the floor of the pool. The sudden tinge of pain caused her to lose a little air breathing out a cry. Alex tried using her hands to swim to up but it only got her so far. She felt herself drifting-off, the last thing she remembered seeing was one of the guys jumping in.

Pressing on her chest and blowing air into her mouth were Damian and Melissa; Melissa pumped while Damian blew. Slowly but surely her eyes fluttered opened, trying to take a breath she started coughing and bringing up water that found its way into her lungs.