Say Something, I'm Giving Up On You

I walked back down the stairs just as Chester walked through the door.
"Where have you been?" He asked, smiling.
"Sharing the good news with my sister, of course." I kissed him.
"How did Chauntelle take it?" he asked, starting to lug our stuff up the stairs.

"Like I expected, she screamed and freaked out. She said that she was so happy for us." I picked up some bags, and helped him carry them upstairs.

"Is she going to tell your dad?" he asked.
"No. She knows that I don't want him in my life, and she respects that. But she said that her and Chris would be at the wedding." I replied.
"Good, I want them there." he set our stuff down by the foot of the bed.

"When I told Chauntelle that I had big news to share, she freaked out and asked if I was pregnant." I laughed.
He laughed a little, "Well, I mean, it's possible." he shrugs.
I nodded, still smiling, "I know. But I'm not afraid of the idea anymore. If I'm having a baby with you, I know everything will be alright. We'll both be loved." I shrugged.
"You're really okay with it?" he asked.
"Yes. As a matter of fact, I'm hoping for it."
"Well, don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen, but we'll have plenty of time to start trying to have a family after we get married next month." he said.
"I know." I laid back on the bed.

He laid next to me, putting his arm around me, "Babe, what if you're pregnant? Do you really think we could handle it?" he whispered.
"I don't know, honestly. But knowing us, we'd do whatever we had to do to make sure our child was safe and taken care of." I stared at the ceiling.

"You're so confident, but unsure. How do you do that?" he asked.
"Because, with you I don't have to be afraid of anything. I don't have to worry about the next day, or even the next hour, because I know that you'll still be there, no matter what. I'm free of fear and loneliness." I said.
"Because you have nothing to fear, anymore." he whispers, kissing my face.

"I can't believe it's finally going to happen, I'm finally getting married, and to someone that I know loves me."

He started to say something, but my phone rang.
"Hello?" I asked.
"Congratulations." Chris said.
"Thanks Chris."
"Dad's out looking for you, you know."
"I know. In less than 24 hours, I'll be far away from here, and out of his reach. If I can stay hidden until then, I'll be okay."
"If you need us, just call. We'll be there to back you up." he told me.
"I know. I appreciate that, Chris."
"Gabi told him that you're probably pregnant by Chester, and he lost his mind. He came to us first, asking where you were, but we told him the truth, that we didn't know where you were. That pissed him off more, and he left in a huff."
"This is the only way to make him let me go. I have to run, and show him that I'm serious. Imagine how pissed he'll be when I get married." I laughed.

"He is going to go on a war path, but he'll get over it. It is your life." Chris laughed.
"I'm glad I still have you and Chaun, at least." I said.
"You've always had us, and you always will."
"I gotta go, we're hanging out with our friends, and I don't want to be rude." I said.
"I don't want to keep you. Just call me when you have time."

I got off the phone, and Chester attacked me, kissing me hard.
"Babe, come on, not here." I giggled.
"We have to celebrate our engagement somehow." He plays with the hem of my shirt.

"Later tonight, when everyone's sleeping, but we have to keep it down." I agreed.
"Why? You already know they're expecting us to do it." he laughs.
"Just because they're expecting it, doesn't mean the want to hear it. This isn't our house, we can't do that to them."
"Okay baby, later tonight then. You wanna go back downstairs?" he asked.
"Yeah, I have a glass of wine waiting for me." I sat up.
"What? You're drinking?" he asked.
"Just a couple of glasses of white wine. To celebrate the engagement." I stood up and smoothed my hair down.
"Baby, I really don't think that's a good idea." he sits up.
"Chester, two glasses of wine isn't going to do anything for me. I'll be fine. We just got engaged, and I'm celebrating. Like they say, when in Rome." I shrugged.