The Miracle In The Tragedy

-Chester-

I had a fractured neck, a broken arm, a broken leg, and lots of bruises and cuts.

Michelle was much worse off.
As predicted, the entire left side of her body was broken bones, her lung had collapsed, liver ruptured, and she had a bleed on her brain.
She was in surgery right now, while I was put in a room in ICU, staring out the window, begging God not to take her from me, through tears.

I couldn't sleep or get comfortable, because I was in so much physical and emotional pain.

I wouldn't know if she survived surgery until it was over.

The door opened to my room, and Mike came in, "Dude, oh my god, are you okay?" he asked.

"No. My arm and leg are broken, my neck is fractured, and Michelle is probably going to die." I said flatly.
"You don't know that. They're going to do all they can to save her." he said.
"Mike, she got hit broadside by a Mack truck. The fact that she's even alive right now is a miracle. But I think that's where the miracles stop. I don't think they can save her, I've lost my baby."

"Don't you dare give up on her, now. She needs you now, more than she ever has before. Don't give up on her. You said you'd never leave her, so don't." he said.
"What can I do from here? All I want is to hold her and tell her its' all going to be okay, and I want her to wake up, so I can hear her voice and see her smile again, kiss her lips and remind her just how much I really do love her and need her." I sobbed.
"You can pray for her. Michelle has been through way too damn much to go out like this. She's a fighter."
"Why her, Mike? She never hurt anyone. She's an amazing person. Is this punishment for me being too happy? Why didn't he take me instead? Why did he have to take her?" I cried.

"Bad things happen to good people. But Michelle isn't going to die. She's going to fight for her life because she loves you, and she wants to get married as badly as you do."

"We had gone to check out the beach, because she wanted to get married on the beach. She saw the storm gathering out over the horizon and said we needed to go, but I insisted that we stay a little longer. If I'd just left when she wanted to, we would've made it home."

"You can't blame yourself." Mike said.

"We were gonna start a family after we got married, Mike. We were going to have a baby." I whispered.

"You don't know that it won't still happen." he replied, shrugging.

There came a knock on the door, "Come in." I called.

The surgeon walked in, "Good to see you're doing well. We've finally finished the surgery. We were able to save her liver, and install rods and screws in the broken bones to heal them, but without a neurosurgeon on call, we haven't been able to tend to the bleeding on her brain, but we did send her for a CAT scan, to find where the bleed was, and we think that through a minimally invasive surgery, we can drain the fluid surrounding her brain, and stop the bleeding. She's in a coma at the moment, but we hope that with the brain surgery, we can get her breathing on her own again, and eventually she'll wake up on her own." He explained.

"Can't I see her?" I asked.
"Unfortunately, you're in no condition to walk anywhere right now, as your condition is just as fragile."
"Can I go sit with her for him?" Mike asked.

"Of course, but anyone who isn't family, has to leave when visiting hours end." He nods.

He left silently.
"I'm going to check on her for you, I'll be right back." Mike stood and left the room.

-Mike-

I followed the surgeon, who directed me to Michelle's room.

I took a deep breath before I opened the door.
The room was dimly lit.