Slivers Of Hope, Slipping away.

-Chester-
I smiled through a mess of tears, "Yes babe, we are."
She leaned down and hugged me tight, tears running down her face.
"And for the record, I love your name ideas. I've been thinking about names to go with them, and I've got them. Bailee Jade, and Jonas Michael." She squeezed me tight.
"Perfect. They're perfect, you're perfect, everything is perfect again." I told her.
"Let's get you checked out, Michelle." Dr. Sampson interrupted us.
She sat back against the pillow, never letting go of my hand, while he checked her vitals.
"Everything looks good, so far. We can't assess your brain injury nor can we x-ray your arm and leg, due to the baby, but I'll be sending an obstetrician to look in and see exactly how the baby is doing." He said.
"How will we know if her arm and leg are healed?" I asked.
"Well, the lack of movement should've given the bones the ideal environment to heal precisely, so we'll play it by ear, and in two weeks, when you get your casts off, she should too. As for the brain, we'll have you hooked up to the EEG machine to monitor the brainwaves, and if you show any signs of trouble, and we'll have to do a CAT scan irregardless, to see what's going on." He explained.
"Stupid question, but are we allowed to have a wedding in here?" I asked.
Michelle looked at me and smiled.
Dr. Sampson smiled too, "I don't see why not. It's not exactly ideal, but given the circumstances, I will not rob you of any more time together, so please, by all means, do." He nods.
Michelle opened her mouth to speak when the door opened, Chris and Chauntelle ran in and embraced her.
"Hello mommy!" Chauntelle squealed.
"Shut up, I'm not used to it yet." Michelle laughed.
"Glad to see you've joined us in the land of the living." Chris said.
"I needed a good nap." Michelle still had her hand in mine, holding tightly.
"They just decided to get married. Here. Now. In this hospital." Mike told Chris.
"Well, then we've arrived just in time." He smiled.
"We can't do anything without rings, or a preacher." I commented.
"All of that can be taken care of, no problem." Chris grinned.

Someone knocked on the door.
"Come in." Michelle called.
A small lady came in, "I'm Dr. Varnette, your obstetrician. I need to perform a pelvic exam and an ultrasound to check on your baby."
Michelle smiled, "Of course. Everyone, could you guys give us a little while? Go get some lunch, and bring me something too, I'm starving." She said.
Everyone left, except for me.
Dr. Varnette looked at me.
"He's my fiance, doctor. He's the father." Michelle explained.
She smiles, her face softening, "Okay then, let's get started."
She rolled a stool over in front of Michelle, who slid down on the bed, putting her feet in the stirrups.
"Dr. Sampson told me about your accident, and I must say, it's very rare that a fetus, especially so young, survives such a disaster. It truly is a miracle." She slipped her gloves on, and put her mask on.
"Everything looks well, we'll just swab some samples, and send them off, and soon we'll find out anything we need to know. Now, you can drop your legs, dear. We're going to do an ultrasound." She took her gloves off and tossed them in the trash.

"So," She slips on new gloves and looks at me, rolling around to the side of the bed, dragging a machine over.
"Are you excited?" She continued.
"Well, still getting used to the idea really, haven't really gotten that far yet." I shrugged.
"The excitement will come. Usually the first ultrasound makes it real for them." She had Michelle lift her gown, and she pressed the sensor against her stomach.
The screen lit up, and Michelle's hand tightened around mine.
"There's the little soldier. Grown a bit already since the first ultrasound yesterday." She smiled.
There was a little black speck in the middle of the black screen, with a smaller white flicker in the middle.
"Still just a tiny little thing. But if Michelle take care of it, it'll grow to be a beautiful baby in eight months." She froze the image.
"But, all in all, the placenta, the uterus and the baby all look to doing great. Have you guys thought of any names?" She asked.
"Yes actually, we've agreed on a name for each, boy or girl." Michelle said.
"May I hear them?" She asked.
"Bailee Jade for a girl, and Jonas Michael for a boy." I said.
"Oh they're wonderful! Can't wait to see what it turns out ot be." She stood, and with a final smile, departed.