Chicago In The Rearview.

-Michelle-
He was already beginning to shake when we got in the car and headed for the highway, and I wondered just how long I'd have before he would have to stop.
"So, been the same old same old?" I asked, glancing at the map in my lap.
"Pretty much. This is the furthest I've gotten from my couch in the past two months." he chuckled.
"Well, this is the best thing for all of us. Are you okay?" I noticed that he was sweating, and his hand in mine was clammy.
He cleared his throat, and nodded, "Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little warm." he turned the air conditioning on.
I offered him a bottle of water, "Here, get a drink." I said.
He gulped the water, wiping his forehead with his shirt sleeve.
"How's Bailee?" he asked, obviously trying to distract me.
"She's good. She's being still right now." I said.
He reached over and put his hand on my stomach, rubbing it, "I'm glad you're coming home." he said shakily.
I sniffled, "We're glad to be going home."

Another twenty minutes later, he was shaking so violently, he was swerving.
"Pull over, I'll drive." I demanded.
He slowed to the shoulder, stopping the car.
He climbed out of the car, coughing and dry heaving on the pavement.
"Babe!" I ran around the car to him, kneeling beside him.
"I'm fine, I'm fine. I just need some fresh air." he gasped, sitting up.
"You know what you need, and it isn't fresh air." I sat beside him against the car.
"I don't have it. I don't know where to get it." He wiped his mouth with the napkin I handed him and took a deep breath.
"You have to do something, we've only been driving for three hours, and we have 27 left. You came here to so that I wouldn't be making this trip alone. If we don't do something, I might as well be alone, worrying about you, and trying to get us home as quickly as possible." I said.
"Michelle, what are we going to do?" he asked.
I sighed, looking out over the empty fields around us, "I don't know, I'm not even sure where we are."

He looked out, "In the middle of absolute fucking nowhere." he forced a laugh, looking over at me.
I smiled, "Bailee's awake now."
He put his hand on my stomach, "Hi baby girl. We're gonna get you home, I promise."
I got up, "Get in the car, we've got to keep going." I said.
He got in the passenger seat and buckled his seatbelt.
"According to the map, we're in Iowa somewhere. I'll bet you can get some in Des Moines." I pulled away from the shoulder and onto the highway.
"What?!" He asked.
"Chester we're not doing this for 29 hours. You're going to get help when we get home, you'll go through this in a facility where you''ll be monitored by doctors who are experienced and specialize in this. For now we're going to get you what you need, just to get through. I can't watch you go through this." I sighed.

"Babe, I'm not going to do it in front of you. You're an ex-addict." He said.

"You don't have a choice." I didn't look at him.

"It's bad enough that I do it, and that you had to find out about it like you did, I don't want you to see me do it." He argued.

"Am I supposed to sit here and watch you go through withdrawals for the next 29 hours, and worry about you while trying to drive us home and deal with Bailee kicking because she knows that I'm upset?" I asked.

He sighed, "Maybe I should've let someone else bring you home."

"William offered to drive me, but I knew you wouldn't be okay with it." I commented.

He looked at me, though I didn't look back, "So you were fucking him while you were there."

I rolled my eyes, "No. I told you we tried dating again for a week, and it never had a chance to get that far. He was just trying to be nice. But I knew that you wouldn't appreciate it." I said.

"Look, I trust you. We were technically split up, and you could do whatever you want, but after what he did to you, you tried to fuck him of all people."