New Life and New Lies

Three Months Later..

-Michelle-
I was standing in the backyard, watering the flowers in my garden, while Chester mowed the grass.
The morning was warm, the air just a little bit humid, with a breeze.
I reached down, tugging at my shirt again, trying desperately to keep it down over my enormous stomach.
"Babe, can you bring me that hose?" Chester called.
I walked over to him with the water hose in hand, "Hot?" I asked, holding it up to his mouth for him to drink.
"Extremely." He sipped the cool water before splashing some on his face, neck and the top of his head.
"You don't lack much to be finished." I told him, looking around the yard.
"I know. Why don't you get inside out of this heat? It can't be good for you and the baby." he said.
"I'm almost done watering, and I'll go in. I don't want my flowers to die." I told him, turning to walk back across that yard.
"Nine months pregnant, and you're still drop dead gorgeous." he called behind me, making me smile.
"Yeah, because being a damn planet is sexy." I retorted, shaking my head.

My due date was in three days, and we were anxious.
Of course the whole baby daddy situation was nerve-wracking, but on top of that, we were beginning to wonder if she was going to make her due date, or if I was going to be pregnant forever.
It had been smooth sailing the entire pregnancy this time around, and for that I think we were all thankful, now we just couldn't wait to meet her, although apparently, she was in no hurry to meet us.
I rested a hand on my belly, drumming my fingers, "Little angel, when are you going to come out?" I asked sweetly.
In response I got a kick, and she stretched, as if I'd awakened her from her sleep.
I could feel the sweat starting to bead on the back of my neck, and I ran the water over my hand, splashing it on the back of my neck and face.
Again, baby girl kicked.
I smiled, "We're just waiting so patiently for you, dear. You can't stay in there forever, you know." I patted my belly.
Behind me, I heard the mower stop.
"Sweet little girl." I drummed my fingers on my belly again.
Again she shifted, but this time I felt a pain in my lower abdomen.
I dropped the water hose in the grass, and yelped.
The pain subsided and I picked it back up, going back to my watering.
But again, there was pain, and I felt something warm running down my legs.
I couldn't look down, so I reached down, and touched my leg.
It was wet, and immediately, I knew what was going on.
"Chester!" I called, turning around.
"Yeah?" he was laying on the ground untangling a weed from the mower blades.
"My water just broke!" I called.
He rolled over quickly, and looked at me, "Are you sure?" he asked.
I took a step and felt a rush of liquid run down my legs, "I'm sure." I nodded, holding my stomach.
He got to his feet and sprinted over to me, "Come on, I'll get the car seat, hospital bag and the diaper bag, you just grab your purse." He put his arm around my shoulders and guided me into the house.
"Have you started having contractions yet?" he asked, throwing a towel under my feet.
"Not really. I had a couple of small pains right before my water broke, but nothing since then." I told him.
"If they start, let me know, okay? I'm going to get the bags." he left me standing against the doorway in the kitchen, soaking the towel and the floor.
I felt the baby moving, and put my hand on my stomach, "Okay sweet girl, we're going to the hospital, just hold on." I told her.
Chester came back up the hall with my hospital bag, the baby's diaper bag and the car seat, "Let's go baby." he nodded me ahead.
I grabbed the car keys, shut and locked the back door, and followed him out, shutting and locking the front door behind me.

I waddled down the sidewalk, pulling my phone out of my back pocket.
"I'm calling Kayla." I told Chester.
"I'll call Chauntelle, get in." He shut the trunk, and went around to secure the car seat to the base in the back seat.
I threw a new towel down on the seat and got in the car, as I dialed.

Chester started the car, threw it in reverse and skidded out of the driveway.
"Babe, calm down, I'm not even having contractions yet, and the hospital is like ten minutes away, we have time." I told him.
The line rang a few times, "Hello?" Kayla asked.
"KK, it's Michelle." I said.
"Hey girl, what's up?" she asked.
"My water broke, I'm in labor and we're heading to the hospital." I told her.
"Hold on, what?!" She asked.
"My water broke, Kayla. I am in labor." I repeated.
"Oh my god, MIKE!" She cried.
"Meet us at the hospital, okay? I gotta go." I told her.
"Okay hon, we'll meet you there, bye." She hung up.