The Heart Wants What the Heart Wants, Right?

-Michelle-

I was laying on the couch, watching TV in my pajamas, eating cereal when Dad got up.

"Morning Mickey Mouse." he said, making himself some cereal.

He sat next to me.

"Like old times, huh?" he asked, kissing my hair.

I smiled, "Yeah, cereal and cartoons. Just think, in five months, we can pass this tradition on to my baby girl." I said, rubbing my belly.

"I can't wait to meet her, Mickey." he said.

I wanted to call him.

I wanted to see him and tell him that I was sorry, and that's I'd made a mistake, but he didn't care about me, and wouldn't have answered anyway.

When my dad left for work, I laid in my bed and cried.

The days began to run together, and in the blink of an eye, a month was gone.

I started meeting up with some of my friends from high school nearly every day, to try to lift my spirits, but every night when I laid down to go to sleep, I'd cry, because I'd ruined the best thing that had ever happened to me.

I constantly wondered how he was doing and if he was okay.

Bailee continued to grow, and the day drew closer to meet her.

"Michelle, we're all going to the Lake for a barbeque this weekend, you wanna come?"

I snapped out of my daze, smiling at Heidi, "Oh of course! Where there's food, there's a pregnant woman, ready to pig out." I laughed.

"When are you due again?" Kim asked.

"February 10." I replied.

"How funny, that's Bill's birthday, remember?" Chloe asked.

Hearing my ex's name made me force a smile, "It's the eleventh, Chloe. Of course I remember. I was with the guy for five years." I said, sipping my orange juice.

"You sure?" Chloe asked.

"You know, I saw Courtney the other day, and she said Bill's getting divorced. Maybe the two of you should link up." Kim said.

I shook my head, "No thank you. I'm deeming myself unqualified for relationships, especially reviving failed ones. I'll pass." I said.

"Come on Michelle, that was three years ago." Chloe said.

"And if you guys have forgotten, I almost didn't make it through that alive. I'd rather not put myself in a position to be hurt again. I've got someone else to worry about now. I've got to go." I picked up my purse and left.

I caught a taxi, and decided to stop and get some lunch, since I'd walked out on mine.

I was standing in line at my favorite diner, waiting for my turn to order, when I heard my name.

"Michelle Kennedy?"

I froze.

I knew that voice.

Speak of the god damned devil, I turned around, forcing a smile, "Hi William."

"I'd heard that you were back in Chicago, but I wasn't sure if the rumors were true." he said, smiling.

"Yep, I'm home." I said.

"And pregnant. Wow, you look beautiful." he said.

I laughed, "Thanks."

"How far along are you?"

"Five months. Baby girl." I replied.

"Get out of town, congratulations." he grinned.