These Things I Wish I Didn't Know

-Michelle-
The next morning, we were cleared to go home.
Chester carried the car seat with the baby, while his other arm was around my waist, holding me upright while I walked down the hall.
"You okay baby?" he asked.
"I told you I'm fine babe, you need to focus on Brynlee." I replied.
"She's asleep, Michelle. She's fine." He kissed my hair.

I tried not to think too much into it, but Chester had been acting different since he came back to the hospital yesterday, overly affectionate and concerned, more so than he had been for most of both pregnancies thus far.
I'd been racking my brain, trying to figure out what the deal could be, but between the baby and all the excitement, I was exhausted.

In the car, I sat in the front seat with him, while the baby slept in the back.
"Chester, are you okay? You seem, different." I commented, lighting a cigarette.
"No, I'm fine baby. Why do you ask?" He merely glanced away from the road.
"You're just not acting like your usual self today." I told him.
"What do you mean?" he smiled.
"Something's off with you. I can't put my finger on it, but something is different." I glanced over my shoulder at the sleeping baby.
"I'm happy, babe. Our family is finally complete. No need to get weirded out on me. I'm just happy for us, that's all." He squeezed my hand reassuringly.
"I'm just ready to be home, so we can get in the swing of this parenting thing." I said.
"We've got another thirty minutes, love." he replied.
"Is your family going to come visit when we get settled?" I asked.
He hesitated, shaking his head, "No, they had to head home. Peter had a work emergency, and Christy had to get back to her kids." He said.
"That's too bad, I looked forward to getting to know all of them better." I said.
"They said they'd come visit again as soon as they could." Chester took the cigarette from me, and took a drag, "These will kill you, you know."
I laughed and took it back, "So will a lot of things, but I'll take my chances."
He stopped at a red light, and leaned over to kiss me, "Just don't go dying on me any time soon." he whispered.
I smiled against his lips, "I won't, I promise."

We got home and he took the baby in the house, putting her in the crib before coming back to help me.
"Baby, I can walk, thank you." I put my arm around his shoulders.
"I know, but I want to help. Brynn is already in the crib, she didn't even wake up when I moved her." He opened the front door and helped me inside.
I headed for the couch, but he grabbed my hand, "Baby, why don't you go lie down? Try and get some sleep while the baby sleeps." he said.

I nodded, "True. If I don't, I may never sleep again." I chuckled.

"I'm just going to clean up the house a little bit while you're both sleeping. I'll be quiet I swear." he kissed my forehead and smiled.
"Okay, baby." I smiled back.

-Chester-

She went down the hall to the bedroom and closed the door.
I started in the kitchen, washing the dishes and taking out the trash.
While I was folding clothes, someone knocked on the front door.

I walked into the hallway and opened the door, "Hey Mike, Kayla." I smiled.
"Hey, how are you guys settling in? Where's Michelle and the baby?" Kayla asked.
"We're settling in okay, they're both in the bedroom asleep." I told her.
"Well, how are you doing then?" She asked, setting Milo down in the floor.
"I'm fine, just trying to clean the place up a little bit." I returned to folding clothes.
"You sure? You look beat." Mike said.
"Oh I am exhausted, but it's worth it." I smiled.
"Did you enjoy your visit with your family?" Mike asked.
I put down the shirt I was folding, "Mike, I understand what you were trying to do, and I appreciate it, but there's a reason I haven't talked to them in so long. My dad is pushy, vindictive and condescending, and I don't really want him in mine or my daughter's lives. He tried to convince me to leave Michelle because of everything that's happened, telling me what a bad person she is and everything. Michelle has made mistakes, lord knows so have I, but we've dealt with it, and are moving on with our lives and we don't need him to do so." I said.
"I'm sorry Chester, I didn't know. I thought it would be good for both of you to see them." Mike said.
"It would've been, had my dad minded his own business. If it had just been Pete and Christy, it would have been more pleasant." I sat on the couch.
"Does Michelle know about any of this?" he asked carefully.
"No, I told her they had to go home early, I didn't want her to know that my dad doesn't like her." I said.
"Hey hey gang!" Chauntelle called walking in.
"Hey." I smiled.
She hugged me, "Where's my sister?"
"She and the baby are sleeping." I told her.
"I should probably go wake her up, seeing as how we've got company." I shrugged.
"No, no. Let her sleep, poor thing is exhausted. We just wanted to stop by and check in on you guys." Mike said.
"She'd want to see everyone, really." I stood, heading for the kitchen.