Chapter 2

A/N: I like writing sweet sensitive Thomas.

Thomas Jefferson examined his reflection in the mirror.

His hair was pulled back.

He was dressed in one of Lafayette's outfits: a pale blue sweater and skinny jeans.

He looked exactly like Lafayette.

He took a deep breath.

Come on, Thomas. You can do this.

"Hello, mon amour! I've missed you so much." Thomas said, trying to perfect Lafayette's accent.

Lafayette had been dead for a week.

Thomas' heart had shattered when he'd read the letter. The loss of his friend still weighed heavily on him, the pain only worsened by the fact that he could not outwardly grieve. Nobody could know that Lafayette was dead.

So Thomas had to bear the loss alone.

Thomas was filled with regret.

Regret that he couldn't be there with Lafayette during his final days.

Regret that he'd obeyed his father when he'd insisted he leave France before things got too terrible.

Regret that he had to watch such a beautiful country go to shambels.

Thomas took a deep breath and steadied himself.

He could do this.

It was the least he could do for poor Lafayette.

If I could not save you, my dearest Lafayette, I can at least make your departure from this world less painful.

Thomas had extensively gone over all of his knowledge of Lafayette and Alex's relationship. Lafayette had told him of it in great detail when he was alive. At the time, Thomas had found it annoying (and also quite depressing because Thomas was single), but now he was eternally grateful.

Deciding that he was as prepared as he'd ever be, Thomas got in his car and drove to Alex's apartment.

Steeling himself, he knocked on the immigrant's door.

I will not let you down, my dearest Lafayette.

Alex opened the door and threw his arms around Thomas.

"Lafayette! You're back!"

"I've missed you so much, mon amour." Thomas hoped that his accent was convincing.

"How was France?"

"A gigantic mess. But my family is alright, and I am alright, and that is all that matters."

Alex took Thomas inside and sat down on the couch beside him.

Thomas tried to hide how nervous he was. It felt... wrong, being in such an intimate setting with Alex.

I can do this.

I can do this for Lafayette.

"I'm sorry about France, Laff." Alex said. "It must be hard to see your home in such a state of disaster."

Thomas sighed. "It is alright, mon amour. Things like this have been happening since the beginning of civilization. I only hope that France is strong enough to overcome it."

Alex got up from his seat on the couch and sat in Thomas' lap. He ran his hands through Thomas' hair, smirking as he did so.

"I love your hair, Laff. It's so floofy. How do you get it to be so floofy?"