Chapter 5

A/N: This chapter is kinda weird oops

Thomas was alone in his house.

He was lying alone in his bed, listening to the TV set drone on and on about the conflict in France.

The tight-faced news reporter spewing empty promises about how the troops were doing everything in their power to put an end to this atrocity.

In a way, it seemed futile.

Why stop the conflict now? Lafayette is dead. Stopping the conflict will not bring him back.

What use is it saving lives when the most important one has already been lost?

Thomas groaned and ran a hand through his unbound hair. He'd decided to let his hair down now that he was alone.

He had a framed picture of Lafayette on his nightstand. Looking at it broke his heart even more.

Oh, my dearest Lafayette. You could have done so much more. It breaks my heart to think of all the things you could have done had your life not been cut short by those cruel revolutionaries.

Thomas' phone buzzed beside him.

James Madison: Hey! How are you?

When Thomas and James had ended their relationship, they'd agreed to remain friends.

For a short while they had remained in contact as close friends, though over time that bond had weakened.

Their conversations became short and stilted, few and far between.

Now they only spoke once in a while, nothing more than obligatory small talk to make sure that both of them were still alive.

Thomas Jefferson: I'm alright. You?

James Madison: I'm alright. I was worried about you though. I haven't seen you in a bit.

Thomas supposed that James was right. Thomas had spent the majority of his time pretending to be Lafayette, which caused for Thomas Jefferson to be absent.

He supposed James was right to worry. Thomas Jefferson had been missing in action for weeks now.

He'd been replaced by Marquis de Lafayette.

Thomas Jefferson: I've been quite busy as of late.

James Madison: And why is that?

Thomas knew what James was hinting at.

Shortly after they broke up, James had began inquiring as to Thomas' relationship status. He constantly asked if Thomas had found someone new or if he was going on dates and things of that nature.

James had left Thomas for John Laurens, a freckled southerner whom he had met at work.

James had tried to convince Thomas to move on from their relationship, to find a new lover and move on from James. He knew the nature of Thomas' heart and knew that moving on quickly was against that nature.

Yet he insisted that Thomas put aside his broken heart and find a new lover to accelerate the healing process.

Thomas Jefferson: It is not what you think. I have received a promotion at work and have been quite busy with my increased responsibilities.

James Madison: I am glad that you have been promoted, though I do encourage you to pursue something to make yourself happy.

But that is impossible, my dearest James. The only thing that can make me happy is Lafayette coming back to life, and that is impossible on all levels.