Lin

Six months on, Isabel was very visibly pregnant.  She'd refused to keep going to school about three months ago because she was paranoid the other kids were staring at her and talking about her.  I couldn't imagine having eyes on me like that constantly so I took pity on her.  I allowed her to enroll in online school with the promise she'd keep a C average.  That was a reasonable expectation for her.  She was never going to be a straight-A student.

Now that Isabel was going to be a mother something in her seemed to shift.  She wasn't as self-centered as before.  She didn't get into childish arguments with me.  Isabel was taking good care of herself and her baby son.  Pippa was huge in helping her through.  She made sure she took her prenatal vitamins daily and went to lamaze classes with her.  They'd grown much closer in the last few months.

I pushed Isabel's door open, finding her with her iPad propped up on her pregnant belly.  It made a good stand.  I smirked at her.

"Hungry?" I asked.  She looked over at me and smiled.  She swung her legs over the side of the bed but seemed to be having a hard time getting up.  I quickly rushed over and grabbed her forearms to help her up.

"Thanks," she told me, grinning.

"Of course," I said.  I got her water to drink and soon we were all settled around the table.  Ellie had had her fourth birthday and very proudly told everyone her age.  She was a smart little cookie and was already reading some simple words.

"And so then I went over and told her we only use kind words," she continued with a story from preschool.  Apparently there'd been some drama.  I thought it was adorable when she repeated phrases adults used.

"That's good, sweetheart, but remember not to talk with your mouth full," I gently chided her.  She did a little dance in her seat and continued chewing.  "Luna, how was your day?"

"Fine," she said, pushing around her peas.  "Why do we have to eat so many vegetables?"

"Well, Isabel's eating for her baby too," Pippa explained.  "She needs lots of healthy foods."

"Well I'm not having a baby," she pointed out.  "Why do I have to eat so healthy?"

"You get plenty of treats," Pippa told her, grinning.

"Can I have ice cream for dessert?" she asked us.

"Maybe after homework is finished," I told her.  She groaned and we continued.  Isabel offered to help with dishes, which she never did before, but I told her to go relax on the couch.  From Pippa's pregnancy I remembered how sore her feet could get from standing.

I was waiting for Pippa to bring back up getting pregnant.  Isabel was doing well, but the baby wasn't here yet.  She still didn't know if she wanted to keep it or give it up for adoption.  Ian, the father, was completely disconnected.  He'd wanted her to get an abortion all along and was unsupportive of her.  She'd had many tearful nights sobbing into Pippa's arms or my arms because of him.

That night as Pippa and I were getting ready for bed, she finally brought it up.

"So..." she began, and I instantly knew what she was getting at.  "Us.  Getting pregnant.  Thoughts?"

I chuckled a little as I climbed into bed.  "I don't know," I told her.  "Isabel's doing well but I'm still really worried about her.  If she keeps the baby we'll all be on duty.  If she gives it up she'll probably be a mess for a while."

"I can help take care of a baby while still being pregnant," she told me.  "Women do it all the time."

"I'm sure you can," I told her.  "But I want to be around too.  I want to focus on our baby."