Lin

Luna was scheduled to be released from the hospital this morning.  Her wounds were all healing well and she had no signs of complications.  The stitches would come out in two weeks.  Until then, she needed to take it easy.  No rough activity and plenty of rest.  The nurse asked if she wanted to ride in a wheelchair out to the taxi cab I'd ordered and her eyes lit up.  I chuckled as I helped her into it and then steered her towards the elevator.

Pippa had also been discharged.  It was all blamed on stress.  She was on doctor's orders to rest, but that didn't mean it would be easy to make her chill out.  We were all still stressed about Luna and now Isabel.

When we got to the sidewalk I spun her around a little and she laughed.  I wanted to take her mind off the attack.  Since she'd been in the hospital she'd had tons of time to think about it and relive it.  Hopefully once she got back into her school routine, things would get back to normal somewhat.  Only, summer break was approaching and she'd soon have tons of time on her hands.  At least she'd be in Puerto Rico, away from the reminders in the city.

I opened the cab door and Luna climbed in.  I thanked the nurse and got in the other side, telling the cabbie our address.  We were on our way home.

Isabel hadn't made much of an appearance that morning.  I'd lectured her the night before about how she needs to take control of the situation.  She can't just let the Latin Kings rule her life.  She has to figure out a way out of it.

We took the elevator up and found Pippa relaxing on the couch with a book.  My parents were going to be taking Ellie a lot in the coming weeks while things settled down.  With the whole Latin Kings threat, we thought it best for her to be away from Isabel.  They were happy to have her and spend time with their granddaughter.  Pippa was able to relax and not chase after a toddler.

"Hey," she smiled as we walked in the door, sitting up on the couch.

"Hello," I said cheerfully, making sure Luna was okay.  I could tell she was a little annoyed at adults constantly checking on her.  She was walking just fine so I'm not sure why I felt the need to stay close by.  I just felt very protective over her at the moment.

"How you feeling, Luna?" she asked our niece.

"Fiiiine," she said, probably tired of being asked.

"Good," Pippa replied.  "Let's see your scars."

Luna proudly lifted her t-shirt to show the gash on her tummy and her side.  They were, quite literally, battle wounds.  I knew she'd be showing them off to the kids at school and telling the story again and again.

"Those are crazy," Pippa told her.  "You're so brave."

"Luna, why don't you go lay down on your bed for a while?" I suggested, wanting to make sure she got plenty of rest.

"But Lin!" she instantly protested.

"Remember what the doctor said about resting," I reminded her.  "You can't take it too fast."

She sighed dramatically and sauntered back to her bedroom.  I asked Pippa if she needed anything and she requested some water and a little snack.  I found a Belvita pack in the pantry and brought them to her.  I sat down on the couch next to her and her blanket.

"I'm glad you're home," I told her, giving her a quick kiss.

"Me too," she offered a small smile.  "Seems empty without Ellie though."

"I know," I agreed, rubbing at her leg.  "You definitely need to rest though.  Where's Isabel?"

"She went to go visit Alejandro," she told me.  "They're meeting at their house for a while."

"Great," I said.  We'd have to see if the visit improved or destroyed her mindframe.  It was always hard to predict.  "Listen, I was thinking we should talk about Luna while she's in her bedroom.  Do you think we should send her back to school right away?"

She thought for a moment.  "I think it would be good.  Otherwise, she'll be sitting around here bored and will have nothing to think about but the attack."

"I agree," I said, glad we were on the same page.  "Should we start her with a full day?  The principal said she could try half first."

"Maybe start with half and see how she does," Pippa said.  "She's been sleeping so much.  Seven hours of school would be a lot."

"Agreed," I said.  "I imagine she'll need counseling too.  But I'm not sure how that will work with her going to Puerto Rico."

Luna would be devastated if we made her stay here for the summer just to do counseling.  Being with her family and friends in Puerto Rico would do her mental health far better than seeing a therapist every week.

"I have a friend who said her therapist FaceTimed her for some sessions," Pippa said.  "One of my actress friends.  She was out of the country for two months and they met that way."

I nodded, feeling encouraged.  "That would work well.  I think it's important she sees someone consistent.  Seeing someone over the summer will be good for her."

Pippa whipped out her phone and texted her friend to find out the name of the therapist.  She would call that afternoon and see if she could make an appointment for Luna.  After that was done, she tossed her phone down on a pillow and reclined some more, letting her legs rest in my lap.

"Isabel's in deep," I told her.  "She doesn't think they'll just let her out.  I told her she needs to find out a way."

Pippa rubbed at her temple.  I was no expert on gangs, but I'm pretty sure Isabel was right about that.  Once they let you in, you were committed.  People weren't allowed to just come in and out like Girl Scouts.

"I'm scared for her," Pippa told me, meeting my eyes.  "If this goes south..."

She didn't finish her sentence, but both of us knew it could mean the ultimate price.  They hadn't thought twice about stabbing an innocent eight year old girl.  What would stop them from killing Isabel?

I rubbed at Pippa's legs, trying to keep her calm.  "We'll figure it out," I told her, but I wasn't sure how accurate that actually was.  This family had never been in a situation like this.  No one I knew had ever been in a situation like this and only Isabel could get us out.