Failing Hope

Dr. Schneeplestein woke on his cot in the office and rubbed his eyes, grabbing his glasses. He yawned, trying to shake off the feeling of still being tired and got up, heading into the sick ward. He watched Dr. Iplier for a moment before he sighed. "Did you sleep?"

"Yeah." Dr. Iplier shrugged. "I got up early. I just wanted to check some vitals after things were quiet in here for the night. I wondered if we were affecting them."

"Ve are not-" Dr. Schneeplestein suddenly stumbled, catching himself on the edge of a cot, but ended up collapsing onto his knees anyway.

Dr. Iplier's eyes widened. "Doctor?" He gasped, walking closer. "Did you trip?"

Dr. Schneeplestein swallowed hard, staring at the ground. "I vas standing still. Mine knees just... gave out."

"Phase one." Dr. Iplier shifted. "Extreme fatigue."

Dr. Schneeplestein glared up at him. "No. I am fine."

Dr. Iplier shook his head. "You need to go back to bed." He took the doctor's arm, helping him to his feet. "I'll-"

"No!" Dr. Schneeplestein yelped, grabbing at the other doctor's lab coat, eyes wide. "If I get in zat bed now, I'll never get out of it."

Dr. Iplier frowned, nodding and lead the other to the couch in the sick ward, forcing him to sit down. "Relax."

Dr. Schneeplestein leaned back. "You're going to do zhis all alone? Mark and Jack von't come over, afraid zhey'll catch it if zhey haven't already." He shook his head. "Zhere's too much vork. I have to-" He tried to get up, and Dr. Iplier easily pushed him back down by his shoulder.

"Rest." Dr. Iplier sighed. "I'll... find help."

Closing his eyes, Dr. Schneeplestein sighed. "You've been tired too, yeah?"

Dr. Iplier swallowed hard. "I'm not the one who collapsed."

"Yet." Dr. Schneeplestein huffed. "Vork quickly... zhough I feel ve are out of time already."

Dr. Iplier headed upstairs and made his way into ward one. He stalled, watching Camera Jim filming Reporter Jim's ear while he slept. "Jim?" Dr. Iplier sighed.

"Shh..." Camera Jim glanced over his shoulder, then looked back to the other Jim. "We are trying to capture Jim's dreams."

"Right..." Dr. Iplier sighed, looking around the rest of the room. Anti was asleep, sitting up in the corner, his form periodically glitching. Dark was sitting on the bed, staring at the wall, while Wilford was laying beside him, asleep. "Dark?"

Dark slowly turned his head, watching the doctor. "It is a low energy kind of day."

Dr. Iplier frowned. "I could really use your help."

"My help?" Dark questioned.

"Schneep collapsed..." Dr. Iplier sighed.

Dark sat forward, staring at him. "We are doomed."

"I can do this!" Dr. Iplier huffed.

Dark chuckled. "I was not doubting your abilities." He stood up, cracking his neck and walked closer. "It is only a matter of time before you collapse as well, is it not? And you are no closer to finding a cure?"

"The Host... responded to a drug trial. Maybe? He..." Dr. Iplier sighed. "He thinks he's the Author."

"What drug did you give him?" Dark narrowed his eyes.

Dr. Iplier shrugged. "I don't remember now. We have notes. We've... we've been trying everything, Dark."

"So the Host is recovering?" Dark asked.