Chapter XIV: "BEST FRIENDS"

"I couldn't believe you haven't changed your favorite." I said.

Heather and I have seated at the sofa and Heather was already eating the marshmallows. Despite him grown-up, he is still into marshmallows. How cute is that?

"Marshies are the best. Here, have some, Ali. Share it with me. Just like back when we were kids." I heard him said and handed me the bowl of marshmallows.

I only picked one and ate it.

"You've missed me, have you?" I heard him asked out of the blue that I stared at him.

"I really couldn't believe it. You really came back, Heather. And the fact that it's been ten years. I actually thought that you won't be coming anymore." I spoke.

"Why?" He inquired and took a marshmallow in his mouth.

"Because we were very young when we got separated." I replied.

"But I told you I will come back the day before I left." Heather said.

"Yeah. I know. I have looked forward for this day to happen ever since. I have always been reminded of you. It's just that I actually forgot your real name. Only Heather is what I remember. That's why I wasn't able to recognize you at all after I met you as Fir." I said.

"Me too, Ali. I have only remembered you as Ali. I'm sorry to have forgotten. But I have not forgotten the word I said to you that I'll come back." Heather said.

"Then I guess we're even. We forgot each other's complete names but then we have not fully forgotten." I stated.

"You know what, some of the people I know in Germany often times tell me that I should just live my current life and not being stuck in my past. That I should not bother seeing you again. Afterall, they said, you might have forgotten about me already. It's a child's agreement. People change and forget." Heather said.

"Yeah. That the person you're waiting for might be happy with his life. Living a different life apart from my hopes. That you could have already not minded what you have said. Afterall, they tend to say, people tend to easily change these days.  They might think of you now and forget you later." I stated.

"That there are no real life situations where two people actually find each other again after a long time of being distanced. That there's a tendency to find someone else already." Heather said.

"Have you felt that way a time in your life? These years that we're apart?" I inquired.

"At times, I did. But I have always wanted to return to my homeland. I have always heard your voice in whispers." Heather replied.

"You have a lot of friends waiting for you here, right?" I inquired yet another.

"Yep." He replied. "But I have only one best friend to return to. I have other friends but I know exactly the special person in me that keeps me to have the longing to come back. Someone I am sure is waiting."

I was touched with his words and I looked at him.

"That's my dearest best friend that I have missed through this years. Ten years with no connection at all but I have hoped one day we will see each other again. And I'm glad to see it fulfilled. I'm super glad to be back, Ali." Heather stated as he took yet another marshmallow into his mouth.

"Duper?" I asked and I noticed him smiled and nodded.

"Duper. Super." He replied.

"Instances such as this is not so impossible then. I mean, you and me, best friends who are separated for ten years with nothing to keep us in touch. And the fact that we were kids. Who could tell we mean those words we have just said back then? Can you even imagine we'll really end up seeing each other again? It's quite rare to be true for I'm sure it only exists in stories." I said and drank my juice.

"Our case is a very rare one, Ali. It's a very rare instance in life to be true. Aren't you even happy??" He asked.

I smiled at him and stood then walked towards him. I squeezed his nose and smirked at him.

"You're a rare one then, Heather." I said.

"And so are you. Who could have thought you would be waiting? Have you changed your mind at some time?" Heather asked.

"Yeah. At most times. But your whispers are all I hear that made me remember and kept me believing someday you'll indeed return." I replied.

"Really. Welcome back, Heather." I said.

"I'm very much delighted to be back, Ali." He said.

"Aww. Is this a reunion?" I heard Rose with the clapping of his hands.

"I'm glad you're finally together again." Rose said and we met each other's gaze.

"I'm sorry, Ali." Rose said nodding his head.

"No. I was only too selfish. I have only put notice about my own problems not minding what you're telling me. You have encouraged me all throughout. So Rose, please meet my best friend, Heather." I said.

"She's my cousin, Heather." I said and they greeted 'hello' and 'hi'.

"Pleased to meet you, Heather Fir." Rose greeted.

"Same to you." Heather said.

"I'm sure Ali has a lot of questions for you after this." Rose said and then left.

"I very much agree with what she has said." I heard Heather stated and so I looked to him.

"Yeah. You better get yourself ready. I have really a lot to ask to you." I said.

"I'll be willing to answer them. We have not talked for ten years. I wouldn't let go of the chance." Heather said.

"OK. Let's start with your relationship with Reef. I didn't know you have a brother. I thought you're an only child?" I inquired as we began to sit down again.

I recognized how Heather took a deep breath before answering.

"Well, the fact is..." He began and I have attentively focused my attention to him.

"Reef and I..." He continued and met my sight.

"We're best friends." I heard him said.

I was taken aback and I eyed him confirmingly.

"Wait. I thought you have told me that you and Reef are brothers? Why the sudden change in that? Is that true? Then why did you not told me about it the first time? Heather?" I inquired out of the desperate curiosity.

Best friends....

He and Reef?

What?!

Am I confusing things and stuffs?

Is this what we say that sometimes, unexpected things are meant to be expected? Not just sometimes. Unexpected things are meant to be expected always.

Then how in the world was it?

Brothers to best friends....

????

-----

🌟AerixielDaiminse🌟