{•Chapter Three•}

"Do you hear that?" Gwen whispered as they snuck by the people banging on the house they recently escaped, heading down another path.

Leon tuned his ears and heard whimpering. "What is that?"

"It sounds like... a dog," she replied just above a whisper. She followed the sound and found a wolf trapped in a bear trap. His back left leg was bleeding due to the teeth from the trap penetrating his skin. "Leon, help me!"

Leon and Gwen rush over to the poor animal and used their strength to pry the rustic jaw from the wolf's leg. The archivist stumbled and fell on the ground when the trap was pried open. She lifted her head just as she felt something wet and slobbery against her cheek. The wolf wagged his tail, licking her face and nuzzling his cool, wet nose against her cheek. She giggled at the ticklish sensation and rubbed the animal's head. "I can fix your leg in a jiffy if you'll let me."

In response, the animal laid down. Leon watched as Gwen pulled out a mini injection gun and a small vial containing a silver liquid. His crystalline eyes widened when he recognized what was in the glass. "You're going to use your blood?"

"Yeah. It'll heal his leg in seconds. You plan on stopping me?" Gwen questioned her boyfriend as she placed the vial in the injection gun.

Six years ago, Leon would've stopped her. But this time, he respected her decision to use her blood to help those in need regardless if they're human or animal. "Not this time, Gwen."

The newly appointed agent was taken aback at his answer, but she smiled. "Thank you, Leon." She scratched behind the wolf's ear as she placed the needle into his neck and pulled the trigger. The injection was quick and the wolf only felt a small pinch in his neck. He felt a change in his body and looked at his injured leg.

Just as Gwen promised, the wound was healed completely within seconds. "There you go, buddy. Watch out for bear traps from now on." The wolf howled in satisfaction before dashing off into the woods. "At least it wasn't a Dobermann."

Leon chortled at the comment. "I wonder why."

"Regardless of how long ago the Raccoon City outbreak was, I will never look at a Dobermann the same way ever again. I still have nightmares about those damned things."

"They weren't that bad," Leon said. Gwen tilted her head down, knowing the dogs from that night were still clearly burned into his memories. "Okay, you're right."

"Thought so," she snorted with laughter, putting away the injection gun.

<-----------<<<<<<<<<<

Down the trail was a gate. Gwen tilted her head in confusion. "Why would a village this far from any town or city need a gate? I seriously doubt visitors are knocking on their front door."

"Don't know. Let's see if it's unlocked." Leon pushed open the gate with no resistance. He exchanged a curious glance with the sapphire-eyed woman as they stepped through the gate. "Well, that was easy."

"Yeah, well, "easy" isn't comforting. It actually worries me," Gwen confessed. "Last time something was easy, we were ambushed by a monster."

"Trust me, I haven't forgotten."

Further down the path, Leon suddenly pulled Gwen behind a tree and grabbed his binoculars. He leaned out from their hiding spot and used the object to scan the village up ahead. From behind the tree, they could hear the villagers talking to one another in Spanish. By their tone, they didn't sound too jubilant as they trudged around the village to keep themselves busy.

"Oh, shit..." Leon cursed, catching Gwen's attention.

"What?" She whispered, peering past the tree trunk. Leon handed over the binoculars, allowing the woman to see for herself. In the center of the main square was a bonfire with a body hung above the roaring flames. Examining the body, she gasped in realization. "Is that...?"