{•Chapter Ten•}

As Leon, Gwen, and Ashley trekked through the rain, they discovered a lever and opened a gate. Passing through the gate, they walked through metal doors and found themselves running through a mountain pass.

Gwen was ahead of Leon and Ashley as she spotted a chained door. "Why would-" A loud roar silenced the young woman. Another giant just like the one they faced in the quarry appeared, blocking their path. The archivist stared up at the monster as it spotted her. "Oh, shit..." It reached down to grab her, but she dodged by rolling between its legs.

The giant wasn't sure where the woman went and changed his target to Leon. Gwen knew there wasn't much room to maneuver around in the narrow, rocky path and they couldn't afford to be distracted by the giant. She searched the ledges above and spotted a large boulder suspended at the clifftop. She pointed to the enormous rock as she shouted at her boyfriend. "Leon, use your gun to destroy the support and run around the giant when it's incapacitated!"

Leon glanced up and saw the boulder above. He aimed his pistol at the supports and waited for the giant to get right under it. When the creature was in the right spot, he pulled the trigger. The wood supporting the boulder broke, resulting in the rock falling and smashing against the giant's head. It wailed in pain, grabbing its head. Leon and Ashley run around the monster just as Gwen destroyed the chains around the door.

The giant recovered and stomped over to the trio as they stormed through the door. Weaving through the numerous of shacks, they heard the creature bash through the palisade to reach them. On the other side of the valley, Leon tried to kick the door open, but it was locked. "Shit, we need a key!"

"Great..." Gwen groaned. She glared at the approaching giant and grabbed her pistol. "Leon, take Ashley with you to search for a key. It has to be nearby. I'll distract it." Leon nodded as she moved away from him and Ashley, grabbing the giant's attention. She fired a few rounds, one of the bullets nailing the monster in the eye. It cried out in pain, covering the bleeding optic.

Gwen winced at the sight. "Wasn't really aiming for that." The giant fell to a single knee from the pain, the parasite in its back making an appearance. She decided against climbing on the monster's back to attack the wiggling creature, knowing she wouldn't be able to take the giant down by herself. All she was trying to achieve was being a distraction. She kept her distance, sparing as little ammo as possible.

Running circles around the giant proved to be quite useful as the large creature kept spinning around in order to grab Gwen. She couldn't help but laugh at how idiotic the monster truly was. Eventually, the giant became dizzy and tripped over its own feet. The archivist guffawed at the sight just as a hand wrapped around her wrist and dragged her back to the locked door. Leon released her when he unlocked the green door and slammed it behind them.

Ashley was breathing heavy, bending over slightly as she placed her hands on her thighs to catch her breath. "What was that thing?"

"A giant," Gwen responded as she holstered her handgun. "Bet you haven't seen one of those before."

The girl shook her head. "No, I haven't. I've only ever seen them in fairytales."

"Too bad this isn't a fairytale. I'd love to have some fire magic to burn all these assholes," the woman smirked.

Ashley giggled at Gwen's words and joined in. "Or a magic sword that can slay anything."

"Exactly! We'd be kicking ass and taking names."

Leon grinned as he listened to the girls idle chatter as they checked the new area. Inside the house, they found a note inside a toppled over locker.

*****
Village's Last Defense

I clearly underestimated the American agent's capability. He's still alive along with the cursed one.