{•Chapter Seven•}

After watching the large beast consume the officer's corpse, Leon and Gwen descended the cliff and to the docks. There was a single boat tied to the dock with no cultists around. Two shacks seemed to be abandoned and contained some handgun ammo, which Gwen gladly snatched up.

Leaving the hut, the young woman saw Leon untethering the boat from the dock. He glanced at Gwen, who was standing at the edge of the dock. She refused to take a single step onto the rickety wood, which didn't go unnoticed by the blonde. "You ready for a boat ride?"

Gwen couldn't believe what he was asking. "You... You did see the exact same thing I did on that cliff, right?" Not only was she frightened of the giant creature in the lake, but she never learnt how to swim. In the ten years she's been free from Umbrella, not once has she tried swimming or boating. She loved to view the ocean and lakes, but she wasn't fond of traveling on water.

"Yeah, I did. But we both know we need to get to the other side of the lake. This is the only way, Gwen."

The archivist bit the inside of her cheek as she tried to think of an excuse to stay behind. "I know, but... maybe I should stay here."

"Not a chance. I'm not leaving you here all by yourself," Leon declared.

Gwen intertwined her fingers and took a step back. "Really, I'll be fine until you get back. I can hide in one of the huts 'til then."

Leon wasn't going to argue further and approached his girlfriend. In the blink of an eye, he bent down and hooked an arm around her knees. A shriek of surprise escaped Gwen's lips as she was sprawled over his shoulder. "L-Leon, put me down!" She pounded her fists against the agent's back as he carried her over to the boat.

"Not happening," he declared, his shoes clunking against the wood of the dock.

"Don't you dare put me in that boat, Kennedy! There is a monster out there the size of a football field and I can't swim!" She yelled at the top of her lungs as Leon stepped onto the small fishing boat. He gently placed her down in the bottom of the wooden vessel and started the engine before she could jump off the boat.

Gwen had a death grip on the sides of the boat, her nails digging into the wood. Her whole body was tense as she sat across from Leon, hoping the boat ride wouldn't be long. She focused on the man in front of her, watching his blonde locks whip in the wind. She sunk further down into the seat, nearly slipping off the back. Her heart was racing as little droplets of water were splashing on her body.

When Gwen sees a large object in the water swimming directly towards the boat, flashbacks of Raccoon City play through her mind. The image of the mutated alligator was seared into her mind and there was no way for her to ever cleanse such a frightening experience from her mind. Images of Leon running for his life while she rode on top of the beast to try and help him played in her mind. "Leon, we've got company!" She shouted over the roaring engine.

Leon glanced over his shoulder just as the enormous creature broke through the water's surface. It rams its large, grotesque body against the vessel, causing Leon and Gwen to almost fall overboard. The anchor attached to the bow of the boat fell into the water and sunk. The archivist tried to hoist it back up, but it had hooked onto the large creature as it swam under the boat.

The sudden tug and pull of the vessel caused both agents to be jostled around. Leon kept his grip on the engine, using it to steer and avoid the floating debris as the monster to them on a ride across the lake. Gwen noticed the harpoons by her feet and knew what she had to do. Standing on shaky legs, she grabbed a harpoon and threw it. The shape tip pierced the creature's skin, blood spurting from the impact. She repeatedly threw harpoon after harpoon until the creature dove under the water and disappeared from her line of sight.