{•Chapter Eight•}

"Aim for their legs as they jump!" Leon shouted as he jumped down from the platform. Gwen did as he said and shot the men as they jumped from crate to crate. Their bodies fell like dominos into the raging water below. She jumped to the next crate and shot the villagers who leapt onto the crate she was just on. Leon stood on solid ground as he shot round after round at the oncoming horde.

One of the men tossed their axe at Gwen, which she dodged. When she tried to avoid another one, her foot slipped on the wet wood. She cried out as she fell into the river and taken by the current. "Gwen!" Leon shouted as he searched the water for her.

The agent's head bursted through the water's surface as she was able to grab onto the metal bar keeping the box in place before being carried downstream. She coughed up some water as her grip tightened. "Leon, they're coming!"

The blonde turned his fierce gaze back to the approaching villagers. He continued shooting and watching them fall into the water. One of the men who fell into the river grabbed ahold of Gwen's ankle. She tried to kick him with her other leg, but he dug his dirty nails into her skin. She screamed out from the tinge of pain and tried harder to kick him.

Leon rushes to the edge of the lake and aims his pistol at the man latched on to Gwen's leg. He held his breath as he pulled the trigger. The bullet hit its mark, piercing the man's arm. He cried out in pain and forced to let go of the woman, his body being dragged downstream. Leon kneeled by the edge of the river and reached out towards Gwen. "Grab my hand!"

Gwen pried one of her hands from around the metal bar. She stretched out her arm, hoping she could grab Leon's hand. When their hands were only centimeters apart, the blonde lunges forward and grasps her hand. He pulled her body out of the lake and back onto dry land. He wrapped his other arm around her waist as soon as she crashed into his chest. "You sure know how to give a man a heart attack."

Gwen pressed her ear to Leon's chest, listening to his racing heart. She smirked with a giggle. "You must be one hell of an indestructible man if you've survived this many heart attacks and haven't kicked the bucket yet." She places her hands on his chest and pushes off, kissing him on the cheek. "Let's get moving."

Leaping across the boxes, the agents head to the cave. Inside, lit candles were set in the alcoves carved into the wall. A strange object with an insignia was chained to an ornately carved stone wall.

Leon reached up and unhooked the object. The chains retracted and the stone wall behind it revealed to be a hidden door leading further into the waterfall. "Hunnigan's going to want to hear this." He pulled out the radio and contacted their support. "We've obtained an object that resembles the cult group's insignia."

"And it looks like it'll fit the indentation on the door that's keeping us from entering the church," Gwen added.

*****
"Wonderful, you two. Head back to the church. Ashley's safety is our immediate priority."
*****

"We'll make sure she's safe, Hunnigan. Talk to you soon," Gwen said. The couple walked through the stone door, wondering where it led. On the other side was a boat seeming to be waiting for them. "Oh, hey, how convenient. Wonder where this underwater passage will take us."

"Only one way to find out." Leon hopped onto the boat and sat down in front of the engine. Gwen slowly and hesitantly stepped onboard, sitting down in the front of the wooden vessel. Leon smirked as he rested one of his arms across his leg. "You alright over there, Gwen?"

She forced a smile as she gripped the sides of the boat. "Peachy."

"Guess I don't have to tell you to hold on," Leon chuckled, staring at her hands.