{•Chapter Nine•}

Storming out of the storage room, Leon and Ashley descend down the ladder to exit the church. Gwen fell behind when she felt another presence. She glanced down at the altar and saw the robed man she and Leon had seen in countless of pictures throughout the village. The man faced Leon and Ashley as Gwen hovered above him, lowering her body to the ground.

"I'll take the girl," the mysterious man proclaimed, his accent thick with every word.

"Who are you?" Leon hissed, glaring at the robed man.

"If you must know, my name is Osmund Saddler, the master of this fine... religious community."

"It's religious, alright," Gwen sarcastically whispered to herself, peering down at Saddler.

"What do you want?" The blonde agent demands, his eyes narrowing as he pushed Ashley behind him.

"To demonstrate to the whole world, our astounding power, of course. No longer will the United States think they can police the world forever. So we kidnapped the president's daughter in order to give her our power, and then send her back," Saddler exclaimed.

Ashley's eyes widened in horror. "No..." She placed a hand against the side of her neck. "Leon, I think they shot something in my neck."

Leon tore his eyes from Ashley, hatred burning in his lapis pools. "What did you do to her?"

Saddler chuckled darkly, eyes narrowed under his hood. "We just planted her a little... gift. Oh, there's going to be one hell of a party when she returns home to her loving father." Another menacing chuckle left the man's lips. "But before that, I thought I might bargain with the president for some... donations. Believe it or not, it takes quite
a lot of money to keep this church up and running."

"Faith and money will lead you nowhere, Saddler," Leon growled.

"Oh, I believe I forgot to tell you that we gave you and the female agent the same gift."

"When we were unconscious..." the blonde mumbled to himself, eyes wide as saucers.

"Oh, I truly hope you like our small, but special contributions. When the eggs hatch, you'll become my puppets. Involuntarily, you'll do as I say. I'll have total control over your minds. Don't you think this is a revolutionary way to propagate one's faith? It's such a shame the woman refused our beloved gift, but she will be dealt with soon enough. The cursed blood shall be purged from this village."

"Sounds more like an alien invasion if you ask me!" Leon barked. "And if you lay one hand on Gwen-"

"Speaking of the woman, she is not with you," Saddler pointed out. "No matter. My followers will find and kill her for me."

Gwen grabbed her knife and emerged from her hiding spot, jumping down and pouncing on Saddler. She drove her blade into his arm just as Saddler's scream was accompanied by the church doors opening with a loud bang. Two men appear, armed with crossbows. "Leon, get Ashley out of here!"

"What about you?!" Leon shouted, grabbing ahold of Ashley's hand.

"I'll catch up with you later! Just go!" Gwen ripped the knife out of Saddler's arm and delivered a kick to the base of his spine, knocking the man off the altar.

Leon and Ashley make a break for it, the two men firing their crossbows and narrowly miss hitting the duo with their flaming bolts. The two jump through a window to escape the church, leaving Gwen behind.

"You okay?" Leon asked as he and Ashley recover from the fall.

"Leon, what's going to happen to us? What about Gwen?" Ashley worriedly asked.